cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

Memory Limitation with x32 bit Version of Mathcad

H.BakiIz
1-Newbie

Memory Limitation with x32 bit Version of Mathcad

The memory problem I stated in a recent posting is most likely due to the x32 design of Mathcad. I noticed that the latest x64 bit version of MATLAB can have access significantly more memory than MathCad 14. This posting is for users who might encounter a similar problem. I am not sure PTC will care much about it, since the number o customers that will be affected is not significant enough for them to invest in a native x64 bit version of Mathcad. HBI...
2 REPLIES 2

As far as I can tell MC14 is compiled to be limited to see only 2 GB of RAM. I think there are utilities to change the header part of the executable so that it can "see" more RAM

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite
(To:ptc-1310191)

It's not that simple. If you allocate a matrix, for example, you don't just need enough RAM to do it, you need a large enough single contiguous block of RAM. That's a .NET requirement, not something imposed by PTC. I compared the 32 bit Matlab and Mathcad, and the maximum matrix size was about the same, and far short of the total available memory. The best you can do is close other applications, and allocate any large matrices at the top of the worksheet, before the available memory gets chopped up by anything else. You should also be aware that if you assign a value to a variable, say M, and then further down the worksheet assign a new value to that variable, M, they are not actually the same variable. You have two different M's, both using memory. You can minimize the memory drain caused by this by putting intermediate calculations that generate large matrices in a program. When the program exits the memory is freed. The memory used by variables at the worksheet level is only freed when the worksheet is closed. Richard
Top Tags