cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

Minimun of arrays of matrix

beginner
4-Participant

Minimun of arrays of matrix

Hi everybody,

I'm try to learn more about this software so my questions maybe are a bit basic. Is there any simple way to extract the minimun values of a arrays of a matrix a generate another matrix 1xn ?. Something like this:

minimum arrays.jpg

The problem is that the size of the matrix wil change in each exercise.

Thank you in advance.

11 REPLIES 11

One possibility is as follows:

matrixmin.PNG

Alan

More simple (not in Mathcad 15 - only Prime)

minM.png

Here is basically the same which Alan had suggested, but using Primes matrix row operator and turned into an ORIGIN-independent utility function:

Bild.png

If we can not use programming in Prime - better not use. Why?

We can use free Mathcad Express - not Mathcad Prime!

@ValeryOchkov wrote:

If we can not use programming in Prime - better not use. Why?

A utility program is more versatile and comfortable and can be reused, if its well written (ORIGIN-independent and fully self contained). Working with global ranges is more hassle and failure prone. So I would prefer in any case a small programm to do the job and store it for later use (hopefully in a way which enables me to find it again if needed). If you look at Stuarts wonderful collection of utilities (in the collapsed region in the front of most of th sheets he has posted) you will see the benefit  I am talking about.

We can use free Mathcad Express - not Mathcad Prime!

So this is no argument for me. I see no point in developing solutions and work arounds which will also work in Express, until of course someone explicitely states that he is using Express only.

If I would be limited to Prime or, even worse, to Prime Express, I'd better change my tool to something else.

Since Mathcad unfortunately dies now (Prime is not developed up to MC level, MC15 will not be supported anymore in the near future,  no perpetual licenses anymore,..)  this will be necessary anyway and thats really sad, but I am convinced that there is no future for Mathcad anymore.

@WernerExinger wrote:

...no perpetual licenses anymore,..

It is not only with Mathcad is with all programs... Windows and Office for example

@ValeryOchkov wrote:

@WernerExinger wrote:

It is not only with Mathcad is with all programs... Windows and Office for example

There is quite some other software sold only time limited on subscriptaon basis, but Windows is usually not and for Office there still is the optione to obtain perpetual licenses.

@Werner_E wrote:

@ValeryOchkov wrote:

@WernerExinger wrote:

There is quite some other software sold only time limited on subscriptaon basis, but Windows is usually not and for Office there still is the optione to obtain perpetual licenses.

I pay about 3000 publes per year for Windows and Office for my 4 computers at home and in Uni

Yes, I know that there are subscription models for Windows and Office, too - especially for bigger educational instututes like universities and people in th ed business. But Windows and Office also are available the "normal" way as perpetual license - so you have the choice.

But there is a lot of other software out there which is ONLY available on a subscription basis and there sure is a trend in the direction. But that doesn't make it any better in my opinon and I don't appreciate it that PTC is going that direction, too, now. It sure their full right to sell their software the way they think its best (for them) as its my right to say "Thanks - but thanks - no!". 

I am sure not happy with the situation and I know that there is no real substitute for Mathcad, but after a decade of waitung for Prime to (at least) living up to old MC15 and watching that PTC seems to be not able or willing (guess its the latter) to develop Prime as a legitimate successor of Mathcad, its time to look for alternatives.

Yes, I know that there are subscription models for Windows and Office, too - especially for bigger educational instututes like universities and people in th ed business. But Windows and Office also are available the "normal" way as perpetual license - so you have the choice.

But there is a lot of other software out there which is ONLY available on a subscription basis and there sure is a trend in the direction. But that doesn't make it any better in my opinon and I don't appreciate it that PTC is going that direction, too, now. Its sure their full right to sell their software the way they think its best (for them) as its my right to say "Thanks - but thanks - no!". 

I am sure not happy with the situation and I know that there is no real substitute for Mathcad, but after a decade of waitung for Prime to (at least) living up to old MC15 and watching that PTC seems to be not able or willing (guess its the latter) to develop Prime as a legitimate successor of Mathcad, its time to look for alternatives.

beginner
4-Participant
(To:Werner_E)

Thank you for your clear and quickly answer. It is very usefull.

I can't opine a lot about the rest of the replies.

Top Tags