cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

PTC Mathcad Forum: bloated content?

Ninetrees
1-Newbie

PTC Mathcad Forum: bloated content?

So I have this fairly large display, but on this fairly large display, when I have the planetptc page displayed (PlanetPTC Community > Mathcad), I am really interested in the list titled "All Recent Mathcad Content". I have to scroll down to see its content each time I come here. I can't see it because there is a huge PTC logo across top of the screen, and below some really large ads to add my friends or showcase my work. So What's Important HERE???

~R~

6 REPLIES 6

Hi Rich,

In keeping with the PlanetPTC Community theme of Showcase - Network - Inspire, we wanted to give members direction to do just that. Show -off what you're doing with Mathcad, Network (or collaborate) with other professionals that are using Mathcad and in doing so, you Inspire each other.

-Dan

The "People" display page has an error. It claims there are 106992 results, but when page 8911 is selected, it's actually displaying page 1:

http://communities.ptc.com/people?sort=statusLevel&showDisabledUsers=false&showExternalUsers=false&resultTypes=COMMUNITY&view=status&start=106920&prefix=&tag=&query=&onlineOnly=false&recentlyAddedOnly=false&searchFilters[0].fieldID=2&searchFilters[0].value=&searchFilters[1].fieldID=5001&searchFilter...

Page 8911.gif

TTFN

Edit:

Apparently, it's a double bug. The display is for Top Contributors, but, the actual People display has the same bug.

Edit:

Apparently, someone has hardcoded a 100000 user limit on the People display. This is the display for starting at user 99999. but still showing that there's supposed to be 106992 users:

http://communities.ptc.com/people?sort=creationDate&showDisabledUsers=false&showExternalUsers=false&resultTypes=COMMUNITY&view=&start=99999&prefix=&tag=&query=&onlineOnly=false&recentlyAddedOnly=false&searchFilters[0].fieldID=2&searchFilters[0].value=&searchFilters[1].fieldID=5001&searchFilters[1].v...

The last user.gif

...and, of course, right above the Overview tab, there is a whole line dedicated to a little globe (why?) and the word Mathcad (why?) and right above that is a useful line that contains

PlanetPTC Community > Mathcad

...I guess that the globe and the word Mathcad are given so much space because PTC figures that in addition to the need to give us direction (maybe PTC thinks we are all sixteen) we must be reminded in several ways just which forum & sub forum we are logged in to.

I've waited a week to get a license issue resolved (still not resolved). Maybe PTC should spend less time preening itself in the mirror and giving me direction, and spend more time paying attention to their own deliverables and usability.

~R~

BTW, I was just spell checking this email, selected Ignore All for "PTC" and got an error msg that a script had stopped responding.

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member
(To:Ninetrees)

You could personalize your own page instead of looking at the standard page from PTC. Widgets can be positioned and chosen at will.

Mike

I searched Help for personalize and came up w a page that said to go to the communites view, choose "Your View" and personalize. I did. In my original post, I criticised the large PTC logo at the top of the web page. I still opine that it much ado about nothing except some web developer showing how to make pretty pictures. There certainly are things I'd like on the page that are there: "Log out", "Goto PTC.com", search...

I criticised the big page wide banner entreating me to sumbit a video...can I guess how desperate PTC is for videos if they must eat up so much space requesting them?

And below that, another big chunk of real estate devoted to entreating me to showcase my work. Got no use for the size of that, either. Just some pretty noise that I have to get by to get to what the forum is designed for: the exchange of information.

...and I'd like to get rid of tell a friend...

I expected to see something that looked like the page I normally see, along with tools to delete stuff that I didn't want to see. Well, I admit that I'm not a web guru, but it looks to me as if I can delete all the useful stuff, and be left with just the PTC bloat!

...irritated, but willing to be shown the error of my ways...

~R~

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member
(To:Ninetrees)

I searched Help for personalize and came up w a page that said to go to the communites view, choose "Your View" and personalize. I did. In my original post, I criticised the large PTC logo at the top of the web page. I still opine that it much ado about nothing except some web developer showing how to make pretty pictures. There certainly are things I'd like on the page that are there: "Log out", "Goto PTC.com", search...

I criticised the big page wide banner entreating me to sumbit a video...can I guess how desperate PTC is for videos if they must eat up so much space requesting them?

And below that, another big chunk of real estate devoted to entreating me to showcase my work. Got no use for the size of that, either. Just some pretty noise that I have to get by to get to what the forum is designed for: the exchange of information.

...and I'd like to get rid of tell a friend...

I agree with most of what you’re saying, but I have personalised my own page and removed all unwanted widgets. Even still I don't tend to use this page and generally use the standard PTC page.

Mike

Top Tags