cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

Populating a combo box

entec2
5-Regular Member

Populating a combo box

Is there a procedure to use the data from an referenced Excel file or matrix to populate a combo box?

Thanks,

5 REPLIES 5

Hi,

As far as I know no.

It is possible to cut and paste one value at a time!

Are the referenced Excel or matrix constant values or are they calculated?

If they are constant values there is a way to manipulate the underlying Prime xml file to create large data combo boxes

File shows examples with 2091 rows and 165 rows respectively.

Can the information needed in the combo box (if constant) be uploaded as either Excel or Matrix?

Cheers Terry

It can be very cumbersome working with large data sets associated with a combo box.  Mathcad 8 has added some functionality for pasting into a combo box.  The practical limit seems to be a table that can fit on the screen at one time. 

For larger systems, my solution is more of a workaround.  I use the combo box as a selection ID that I pass to an embedded.  The spreadsheet.  The spreadsheet then passes the lookup values back to Mathcad.  The spreadsheet can be hidden in a collapsed area.  

entec2
5-Regular Member
(To:terryhendicott)

Please find attached some clips (pdf format) from a sample worksheet. It would appear that you're doing something similar with your large combo box. Note that I'm referencing data from an excel file and then based on the selection in the first combo box, choosing the material shape. In Mathcad 15, it was possible to use that data to populate a second drop-down list for selecting the structure size. Is that possible? If not any suggestions on a simple work around? As you'll note in these clips, there are several different shapes and the number of sizes for each shape varies notably.

Thanks again,

ttokoro
20-Turquoise
(To:entec2)

Trying to set up a combobox displaying two columns - PTC Community

shows how to use combo box of many elements.

Upload the spreadsheet of the section parameters and I will show you.

Is possible to have one big table.  Simply stack the data from each section type.

Enclosed is a spreadsheet of all the sections so not sure if it covers all your sections.

Capture.JPG

Top Tags