cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - When posting, your subject should be specific and summarize your question. Here are some additional tips on asking a great question. X

Prime 2.0 primary NIC license problem

rag
1-Newbie
1-Newbie

Prime 2.0 primary NIC license problem

While I am happy (more or less) with Mathcad 15, the new Prime 2.0 looked like being worth giving it a try. First i am very disappointed concerning the speed - didn't thought it would be that slow - awful.

I big problem arouse when I updated Orcles Virtual Box, which I use ever so often for testing purposes. To make it clear - Prime was installed in the host system, not on a virtual machine. The Update seemed to have changed (for unknown reasons) the MAC of the virtual NIC used to comminicate with the host system and it was exactly that NIC Prime had chosen to be the "primary" NIC and for which MAC I had to create the license file.

Of course I could (and had) create a new license file for the new MAC, but I am not willing to do so everytime the virtual MAC changes or when I decide to uninstall Virtual Box from may machine. In contrary to the virtual NICs inside the VM (the MAC of those can be changed) I found no way to do so with the virtual NIC on the host side and to be honest - I do not want to fiddle around with that just to keep Prime happy.

Mathcad 15 ist happily bound to my regular hatrdware Ethernet NIC which usually never changes, so why can Prime not be happy with that too?

My question is: does anyone know what method is used in Prime to decide which NIC is taken as "primary" and is there a way to force it to take my Ethernet NIC?

Regards WR

5 REPLIES 5
VladimirN
24-Ruby II
(To:rag)

Try to contact with PTC's technical support, here: "Mathcad Installation & Licensing Support Center".

rag
1-Newbie
1-Newbie
(To:VladimirN)

VladimirN. schrieb:

Try to contact with PTC's technical support, here: "Mathcad Installation & Licensing Support Center".

Would not help - they can possibly offer to send me a license for the new MAC, but as the node locked licenses I am working with are part of a bigger flex license I am able to generate that license file myself.

If the "primary" adapter could be changed and forced to a specific NIC, someone could post the "how" here.

jkucan
1-Newbie
(To:rag)

There are two options that come to mind:

1) a floating license would certainly eliminate the issue, as the license is not tied to the local MAC address

2) if you create a license for the (physical) Ethernet card, Mathcad Prime 2.0 should be able to validate the license as long as the physical Ethernet card is enabled (you don't need to be connected to the network).

I am not sure if you have a floating license. If not #1 will not work for you, of course. I need to double check #2.

--Jakov

jkucan
1-Newbie
(To:jkucan)

Just verified that #2 works. Make sure that NIC for which the license was issued is enabled. If this does not work, please contact techical support.

--Jakov

rag
1-Newbie
1-Newbie
(To:jkucan)

Thanks for your effort.

Yes, I have the possibility to use a floating license inhouse, but as I use a notebook mobile and ever so often would forget to borrow a license - so it is more convenient to use one of our 10% nodelocked licenses for that purpose.

Your #2 did not work for me - I created a Prime2-license file for the MAC of the NIC (of course its enabled) and Mathcad 15 was happy with that file, while Prime2 stills tells me it is not licensed. It seems that Prime is much more restrictive concerning which NIC the license is tied to and only accepts one specific NIC. Not that bad now, as I won't use Prime2 for everyday work, just was curious what it looks and feels like. Hope this will be fixed, when Prime is worthwhile using it.

BTW - is there a way to borrow a license for a shorter or longer time than the one week?

Top Tags