cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

Prime compared to earlier Mathcad

CP_4989121
1-Newbie

Prime compared to earlier Mathcad

I have come to Prime after spending many years on first the DOS version of Mathcad and the various iterations up to 14. My initial try has been frustrating...functions moved and hard to find, graphing difficult, generally too different and counterintuitive. What was wrong with the earlier versions? Perhaps I am being a grumpy old man :).

4 REPLIES 4

Nothing was wrong with MathCad 15. A bit dated, but delivering nonetheless.

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:CP_4989121)

So you've experienced at least three major changes in Mathcad:

- from DOS to Windows: Graphics

- Version 6: User interface.

- Version 14: New symbolic machine.

PTC decided that Mathcad was up for a new look. So they wrote Prime, and, after much complaints on the first version, promised that it would meet the capabilities of Mathcad by version 3, then by version 4, then by version 5, then by version 6...

We're now at version 9, and Prime offers some features that many wanted for Mathcad. While still not all of Mathcad capabilities are supported by Prime, the list is slowly becoming smaller.

Every improvement involves a change. The reverse is not necessarily true.

While I still use Mathcad 11 for most of my serious work, it is possible to get used to the quirks of Prime.

Success!
Luc

Prime is ideal for my technical documentation (example attached),

I don't need any other program, i.e. no Microsoft products (Word, Excel...).

Raiko
16-Pearl
(To:skunks)

Here is a counter-example of Mathcad 15.

Not only does is look neater (see attached image), but I could make the textbox at the end change colours and text if a given threshold was exceeded. This came in very handy when checking long calculation documents.. This isn't possible anymore in MC prime.

Top Tags