cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you know you can set a signature that will be added to all your posts? Set it here! X

Problem with setting a constraint in solve block

Gigiont
1-Newbie

Problem with setting a constraint in solve block

Hello all,
could you tell me why the constraint "zeta" > 1 is not taken into account in the Solve block for the Minerr function in the attached file? The solution gives zeta=0.64, in spite of my constraint zeta>1
7 REPLIES 7
RichardJ
19-Tanzanite
(To:Gigiont)

Because minerr treats the constraint as a soft constraint, not a hard constraint. The deviaton from meeting the constraint is minimized, but not necessarily made zero. You can rewrite the constraint to massively weight it though: see the attached (which, in this case, results in a lousy fit).

Richard
RichardJ
19-Tanzanite
(To:RichardJ)

On 12/4/2009 11:39:07 AM, rijackson wrote:

>(which, in this case, results
>in a lousy fit).

It's because your guess values are way off. Try 10^6 and 1.

Since you are viewing the data on a log x-scale you may also want to consider fitting the log-x data, rather than the raw data.

Richard

I won't help directly because of my immediate absence from the collab. Your work sheet does not download, extremely rare. Richard repost is all scrap to the point that I can't even guess if there is something in it. XFR [Transfer Function] has a unique meaning in control technology. It results as a pure function from the system, therefore there is nothing to fit. If you have a data set that you believe is a XFR, it is not unless extracted from an XFR itself. If properly collected open loop, you have the "Reaction Curve". That both are very alike: yes. If you would want the best controlling parameters, you can derive them from Ziggler_Nichols and the reaction curve. What you could do is try different XFR from models and look for some best fit to the data set [Reaction curve]. At this point and if happy, you could them resume the system from the "accepted XFR". At this point then, you would just plug the project in the Mathcad qs "PID" and go for the best controlling scheme.
There is a work sheet that will "best fit Odesolve" a physical model. But, not seeing what it's all about, it would surely confuse.

jmG

The parameters of the XFR are the natural frequency omega_n and the damping factor zeta. So I just wanted to fit the analytical XFR to the measured one to get the parameters' values. I wanted to impose the constraint of an overdamped case, that's all. What would be wrong?
Thanks,
Gigi

>>What would be wrong?<<

Your data might simply not be compatible with a ζ greater than one.

I have left the file in MC14 format, as the form of genfit used in it does not work in MC11.

Note to Richard: The actual x values play no part in genfit or the corresponding minerr. Only the mapping of the x values to the y values matter, and that is unaffected by a change of the x scale. It matters for interpolation, where the x values are used numerically.
(To:TomGutman)

On 12/4/2009 3:26:00 PM, Tom_Gutman wrote:

>Note to Richard: The actual x values play no part >in genfit or the corresponding minerr.

Duh! It's Friday, my brain is tired....

Richard

On 12/4/2009 1:44:49 PM, gigiont wrote:
>The parameters of the XFR are
>the natural frequency omega_n
>and the damping factor zeta.
>So I just wanted to fit the
>analytical XFR to the measured
>one to get the parameters'
>values. I wanted to impose the
>constraint of an overdamped
>case, that's all. What would