cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need help navigating or using the PTC Community? Contact the community team. X

Symbolic Math in Mathcad 15 & Prime

ValeryOchkov
24-Ruby IV

Symbolic Math in Mathcad 15 & Prime

I see that Symbolic Math in Mathcad Prime is more correct than in Mathcad 15:

Sym-15-Prime.PNG

Do you know others examples?

7 REPLIES 7

What I see in MC15:

Summation.jpg

Richard Jackson wrote:

What I see in MC15:

Summation.jpg

Sorry,

now I see - it was an error of one my student - he used not correct symbol - fron this set:

ExtSym.png

Goto bugs - to this groupe http://communities.ptc.com/groups/mathcad-paradoxes

I see. So it's actually a proportional symbol, not alpha.

Works correct (not more or lesss :-D) here in Mathcad 15, too.

Maybe your infinity sign is not interpreted as infinity because you type "infinity." for example?

Or you fooled yourself with one of your Str-Shift-K tricks (e.g. by typing infinity Str-Shift-K Space)?

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite
(To:Werner_E)

Actually, if you look closely that is an alpha, not an infinity. I noticed that before, but thought it was just a bad bitmap. Every other character looks fine though, including the infinity in the limit expression, so it's not just a bad bitmap.

Mathcad Prime 2.0

Lapl.png

Same effect here with Mathcad 15 (not surprising as they didn't change the symbolic engine).

Lapl1.png

What I don't understand is the error message complaining that s is not defined as s is the formal argument of the function F. This results in the function F inot being defined and usable.

Concerning the result of your integral, Mathcad is correct adding that limit. The Laplace transform 1/s^2 is valid only for Re(s)>0 and Mathcad gives the appropriate answer using the modifier "assume,Re(s)>0":

Lapl2.png

But i agree that F(3+4i) should yield a result with your function F(s) and not "undefined".

I think its a bug in the symbolic engine which seems to have troubles evaluating some limits with complex values. The following limit should yield 0 for Re(s)>0 but doesn't:

Lapl3.png

But it's interesting that Mathcad is able to evaluate the integral in picture2 correct using Re(s)>0 but fails with the limit.

It gets more mysterious if you define F(s) without following it by symbolic evaluation. Now the symbolic evaluation for specific values is correct but the numeric one has problems with complex arguments!!?? At least with Mathcad 15.

Lapl4.png

Slighty different in Prime2 but not really better:

Lapl5.png

Top Tags