cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

Trouble Using Trapezoidal Rule to Calculate Total Areas

MarineBeanpole
3-Visitor

Trouble Using Trapezoidal Rule to Calculate Total Areas

I am struggling to get MathCAD Prime 7.0 to multiply two sets of data in order to find a total area. I know that the solution should be simple, but I cannot find the right way to go about getting the program to output the desired information without running into an error. 

The question that I am attempting to solve is attached and so is the PDF of my current workings on MathCAD.

Any help or pointers would be greatly appreciated!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Additionally to pictures and pdfs you should always attach your worksheet as well!

You should x define as  a vector, not a range. Then you should vectorize the function call f(x) to be on the save side even though it would not be necessary given your function is x^4.

Furthermore your approach ignores the fact that the lower integral limit is a=15 and not zero!

After correcting those errors it may look like this (done in MC15)

Werner_E_0-1648143705944.png

You can get rid of the vector "Multiplier" by using

Werner_E_2-1648144367334.png

But you may consider to write a utility function "trapezoid" to do the job so you can compare the results with different numbers for the ordinates easily

Werner_E_1-1648143772047.png

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Additionally to pictures and pdfs you should always attach your worksheet as well!

You should x define as  a vector, not a range. Then you should vectorize the function call f(x) to be on the save side even though it would not be necessary given your function is x^4.

Furthermore your approach ignores the fact that the lower integral limit is a=15 and not zero!

After correcting those errors it may look like this (done in MC15)

Werner_E_0-1648143705944.png

You can get rid of the vector "Multiplier" by using

Werner_E_2-1648144367334.png

But you may consider to write a utility function "trapezoid" to do the job so you can compare the results with different numbers for the ordinates easily

Werner_E_1-1648143772047.png

Thanks very much for your help Werner_E!

I've attached the .mcdx sheet that I was originally working with, but I will definitely use your input above and attempt to rectify my errors.

Thank you for your help.

Fine, feel free to ask again if something still is unclear

Top Tags