cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - When posting, your subject should be specific and summarize your question. Here are some additional tips on asking a great question. X

WHEN is the poor API Automation performance going to be fixed and When is Prime getting the automation API?

tslewis
11-Garnet

WHEN is the poor API Automation performance going to be fixed and When is Prime getting the automation API?

I have revisited the automation API with MathCAD 15 today.

I raised this quesiton over 3 years ago, obvioulsy PTC do not think they need to update mathcad 15 or mathcad Prime and see automation as a low hanging fruit.

1. The automation API for setting values to a matrix is flawed and useless, and has been for three years now. You cannot set a matrix of any decent size without MathCAD crashing using the automation API. I had a large email trail for this in support three years ago!!!! PTC HAS DONE NOTHING TO ADDRESS THIS.

2. Prime is on Iteraiton 3. WHERE IS THE AUTOMATION API? The dvelopment of MathCAD Prime is pathetic. A decent API is essential, not only is MathCAD 15 flawed, but there is not even an API at all with Prime. How difficlt is it expose some basic functions in an API? The rate of developemnt of this product is pathetic. Three years after releasing PRIME and still NO automation API. I have given up on MathCAD at this rate. Obvioulsy MAPLE is the ony solution. PTC do not take take this prodcut seriously,

10 REPLIES 10
Raiko
16-Pearl
(To:tslewis)

Hi Steve,

I'm not sure whether PTC takes this product seriously. However, I'm pretty sure that for PTC customer complaints are but noise 😉

At my company we also have a CAD software from PTC. Wheras the 3D capabilities are quiete good its 2D usability are (despite our complaints) woeful.

Raiko

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member
(To:Raiko)

Raiko Milanovic wrote:

I'm not sure whether PTC takes this product seriously. However, I'm pretty sure that for PTC customer complaints are but noise 😉

Raiko I am sure PTC are taking the development of Prime seriously as they are trying to integrate the software with their the others products. The problem is that they developing new features for compatibility instead of bringing Prime to a level that at least matches M15.

SI if they do consider it important why am i posting the same issue three years later for mathcad 15 which has a flaw, and prime is now on its third iteration and it still does not have ANY automation api, none, zero, nothing?

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member
(To:tslewis)

SI if they do consider it important why am i posting the same issue three years later for mathcad 15 which has a flaw, and prime is now on its third iteration and it still does not have ANY automation api, none, zero, nothing?

Without going into the development of Prime again I suggest you go through the forum and see the 100's of comments of collabs complaining about the lack of development of Prime.

Prime is not even at the level of M15, never mind at a stage of implementing features missing from M15.

Mike, that is exactly what I tried to get across: PTC takes its own agenda of integrating MC into Creo extremely serious. However, what users likes to have (and have communicated not only in this forum) appears to be of second concern to them.

Raiko

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member

I truly believe that PTC took the decision (risk) to aim at the 'new generation' of Mathcad uses when developing Prime and that is why they have split their resources during development.

'New users' will not miss the features Prime is missing and therefore be relatively happy with the software.

I think we are two versions of Prime away from it having 95% of the features M15 has.

Mike, PTC certainly tried something new. However, where did they get the definition of a "new user"? The features demanded are not particularly unusual (easier editing , better GUI, improved graphing and some automation) and I doubt that even new users would forfeit them.

PTC appears to be stuck with their strategic decision to go for a "reduced set of features" for the new user. This certainly is easier to integrate into Creo but isn't something I'd pay for.

Raiko

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member

Raiko Milanovic wrote:

Mike, PTC certainly tried something new. However, where did they get the definition of a "new user"?

I believe Prime was aimed at university users were only basic features are required for initial learning. Prime 3.0 is much further down the line than Prime 1.0 and could be portrayed as a useful tool for universities and colleges.

PTC appears to be stuck with their strategic decision to go for a "reduced set of features" for the new user. This certainly is easier to integrate into Creo but isn't something I'd pay for.

I totally agree with you. I only have Prime because I was a beta tester. My employer continuously asks me what Prime will give us and I continually fail to convince him to upgrade. Hence only two engineers with our company have been exposed to Prime.

...Hence only two engineers with our company have been exposed to Prime...

Same thing over here. The only one using it diligently is a bloke who's convinced that it is better to swap better sooner than later as the day will anyhow come.

I, stubornly, cling to MC 15 which I believe is still supreme.

Raiko

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member

Same thing over here. The only one using it diligently is a bloke who's convinced that it is better to swap better sooner than later as the day will anyhow come.

I, stubornly, cling to MC 15 which I believe is still supreme.

Raiko

I do use Prime on the odd occasion but the majority of my work is completed using M15.

I'm sure we will pick it up once Prime is fully functional!!!!!!

Top Tags