cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can subscribe to a forum, label or individual post and receive email notifications when someone posts a new topic or reply. Learn more! X

how disable mathcad built in constants

mortenx
4-Participant

how disable mathcad built in constants

how can i disable built in constants like "e"

when i want to use e as symbolic and not e=2.7

or e as some index like Xe

2 REPLIES 2

If you define e as a variable (or a range) that definition will override the built-in definition.  (Below and right of the new definition.)

This has burnt me often, defining a varible m, only to have that defeat m as a given length.  (Prime uses labels to circumvent that issue; so m can be both a variable and a unit.)

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:mortenx)

As Fred notes, depending on how you label, or tag, e, you can have different symbols e, all with a different value at the same time. Note that you can do this in Prime:

LM_20181114_ePrime.png

as well as in (real) Mathcad:

LM_20181114_eMcad.png

Which e do you like best?

If you like a mess, you can have all e's look the same, by defining the same appearance for all labels and tags.

It's interesting to see that Prime knows e as 2.7... only when it's a constant, so you can easily have a variable e with a different value. On the other hand Mathcad (11) knows e as 2.7... independent of its tag, but you can redefine them and they will keep their value.

Success!
Luc

Top Tags