cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - If community subscription notifications are filling up your inbox you can set up a daily digest and get all your notifications in a single email. X

iteration help

DanielleSavage
1-Newbie

iteration help

Hello,

Does anyone know if there's any documentation on an abstraction for iterative algorithms to solve systems of equations?

Thanks,

D

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Look up "solve blocks" in the help.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

Look up "solve blocks" in the help.

Why don't you post an example of your problem?

Mike

Mike,

This is an example:

x=sqrt((y-z)*2/r)

z= f*(L/D)*(x/2g)

f= something crazy with x in it

etc…(there are more equations with x in it)

So:

I say I need r to find x, but I need x to find z. I also need x to find f which is a part of finding z. So I guess a value for x, and then I use that value to find r and f. Then I go back and use the value I found for r and f to find x. I keep doing this until the guess and the calculated are the same.

Hopefully this helps,

D

Richard is right. You could use a solve block and set up a series of simultaneous equations.

Mike

Just tried to edit my post and the site wouldn't let me.

Was meant to say - Post the worksheet so someone can try set it up for you.

Mike

Indeed the help function is useful. There is a great discription of what I need to do.

Thanks,

Mike and Richard

Sorry to sound negative, but threads like this are worthless to other forum members unless a worksheet with the problem and solution is posted.

If someone is having trouble with solve blocks and come across this thread I doubt it would be of much use, when it should yield a working example.

Mike

Put the equations in a solve block and use "Find" to find x, r, and f at the same time. Since you have 3 unknowns you will need 3 equations. If you have more than 3 there will, in general, be no exact solution. In that case you could use "minerr" instead of "Find" though, and it will find the values of x, r, and f that minimize the errors in the equations.

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member
(To:RichardJ)

& three guess values????

Mike

That would certainly help

Top Tags