cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - New to the community? Learn how to post a question and get help from PTC and industry experts! X

plotting ployniminals

motormad.eng
3-Visitor

plotting ployniminals

Any help gratefully received,

I am attempting to plot an XY graph of a polynomial equation including x and y values, (e.g 4y+3x=10). cant find any help on any PTC guides and youtube drew a blank.

completely out of ideas now, everything tried just throws a variety of red error boxes.

many thanks in advance.

BTW, using prime 8

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:motormad.eng)

Something like:

LucMeekes_0-1657638528185.png

Success!
Luc

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Prime does not provide support for plotting functions in implicit representation.

So you would have to solve the equation for y and plot the resulting term -> (10-3x)/4 over x.

You may want to show your attempts here if you still encounter problems with the plot.

BTW, there actually exists a utility function "implicitplot2d" which was posted here by user uno (Viacheslav  N. Mezentsev) quite some time ago, but it would be overkill to use it for the linear function you show.

Thank you for the info,

I have been tasked to produce graph from an implicit equation, looks like this is not possible on Prime 8.

Is the method you touch on possible or is it a heavily drawn out process to achieve a graph
LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:motormad.eng)

Something like:

LucMeekes_0-1657638528185.png

Success!
Luc

@motormad.eng wrote:
Thank you for the info,

I have been tasked to produce graph from an implicit equation, looks like this is not possible on Prime 8.

Not out of the box and the method you may use depends on the equation. As already written above the linear equation you give as an example is quite easy as you simply can solve for y and plot and, as Luc has shown, you may let the symbolic solve do this simple task.

But for more complex equations that cannot be solved uniquely for y, this method is no longer appropriate. Here the function kindly provided by Viacheslav N. Mezentsev can be very helpful, as shown in the picture below.

Werner_E_0-1657677094647.png

Prime6 worksheet attached.

Top Tags