cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you know you can set a signature that will be added to all your posts? Set it here! X

sinus function - unexpected behaviour

MartinHanak
24-Ruby II

sinus function - unexpected behaviour

I tested sin function in Mathcad 3.1 and get the following results. Can anybody explain sin function behaviour ?

sin.png

MH

Martin Hanák
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Mathcad 15 (& prior) had an option in Worksheet Options -> Calculation called "Use exact equality for comparisons and truncation."  I'm not sure if this option is available in Prime.  If it is, uncheck the option and you should get the expected results.

Edit:

Prime has this option, but presented slightly different:

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

MartinHanak wrote:

I tested sin function in Mathcad 3.1 and get the following results. Can anybody explain sin function behaviour ?

sin.png

MH

Probably due to the limitations of the 64-bit (internal 80-bit) floating point arithmetic that Mathcad (and many, many other applications) uses.  This means that most calculations has some least significant digit errors because (for example) transcendental numbers have no exact 64-bit representation. The symbolic processor gives the expected results.

Stuart

Mathcad 15 (& prior) had an option in Worksheet Options -> Calculation called "Use exact equality for comparisons and truncation."  I'm not sure if this option is available in Prime.  If it is, uncheck the option and you should get the expected results.

Edit:

Prime has this option, but presented slightly different:

Top Tags