cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - New to the community? Learn how to post a question and get help from PTC and industry experts! X

text declaration - help needed

ptc-2676882
1-Newbie

text declaration - help needed

Hi,

I am pretty new to this group.

I hope one of the Mathcad experts can help me.

say I have two variables with text as output

a1 = "text1"

a2 = " text2"

How can I decalre these two text variables side by side in programming

a3 = "text1" "text2" if ....

this doesnt work. is there any specific syntax to declare a1 and a2 side by side

Cheers

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Look in help, the index, under string functions.

You're looking for "concat"

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Hello!

You need to use the built-in function "if":

Pic_1.jpg

Not sure I understand what you're trying to do.

Thanks for the quick response

But that is not what I am looking for

I need an output with two text variables side-by side

say a1= "Hello"

a2 = "I am fine"

then the output should be

a3= Hello- I am fine

not just "Hello" or either "I am fine". Want both variables.

I guess there must be some syntax to declare the text variables side by side

Look in help, the index, under string functions.

You're looking for "concat"

Hi Fred,

Awesome, thanks a lot. That fixed my problem

Cheers

As an aside, if you prefer the look of the VB "&" string concatenation operator, you can define a function named "&" in Mathcad and use it in a visually similar fashion to VB by means of the infix operator (nesting the infix operator as required).

Using "&" means using the "text in math" facility .... type a letter (doesn't matter what), then press ctl-shft-k - the cursor should turn red. Now type "&" and the & character will appear (rather than an integral operator as normal), press ctl-shft-k again to end "text in math" mode and delete the first letter. Now type "(a,b), ":" to get the definition operator, followed by "concat(a,b)". You now have a function called & that does the same thing as concat (except that it can only take 2 arguments).

The infix operator (available from the Evaluation toolbar) allows you define function f(x,y) in the form "x f y" (eg, the vector cross multiplication function x(a,b) could be written a x b). Similarly, you can use "str1 concat str2" or, with the new & function, "str1 & str2".

Stuart

Guys, you are awesome,so much technical helpful stuff. Thanks Bruff for this suggestion

Cheers

Top Tags