cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can subscribe to a forum, label or individual post and receive email notifications when someone posts a new topic or reply. Learn more! X

units in pdesolve

ptc-1416740
4-Participant

units in pdesolve

Hi folks,

I am trying to solve a PDE in MathCAD Prime 9.0. Can one use units in the Solve block with Pdesolve?

I have found that odesolve is units aware.

Thsnks,

Ted

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

In MathCAD Prime 9.0, the Pdesolve function might not inherently support units directly within the Solve block. While odesolve is units-aware, pdesolve may not have the same built-in functionality for handling units. To ensure accurate unit handling in pdesolve, consider converting your equations to dimensionless form before solving and reintroducing units after obtaining the dimensionless solution.

Best regard,
livetheorangelife

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

@ptc-1416740 wrote:

Hi folks,

I am trying to solve a PDE in MathCAD Prime 9.0. Can one use units in the Solve block with Pdesolve?

I have found that odesolve is units aware.

Thsnks,

Ted

Hello,

As of my last knowledge update in September 2021, MathCAD Prime 9.0 doesn't natively support units within the pdesolve function for solving partial differential equations (PDEs). Unlike odesolve, which is units-aware for solving ordinary differential equations (ODEs) with units, the pdesolve function may not have built-in units support.

When dealing with PDEs in MathCAD Prime, you might need to manually ensure consistent units throughout your calculations. This could involve converting variables to consistent units before using them in the pdesolve function, and then converting the results back to the desired units afterward.

Keep in mind that software tools and their features can change over time, so it's possible that newer versions of MathCAD Prime might have introduced units support for pdesolve or other improvements in this area.

I recommend checking the latest documentation or resources for MathCAD Prime 9.0 to see if there have been any updates related to units support in the pdesolve function since my last knowledge update.

I hope the information may helps you. 

In MathCAD Prime 9.0, the Pdesolve function might not inherently support units directly within the Solve block. While odesolve is units-aware, pdesolve may not have the same built-in functionality for handling units. To ensure accurate unit handling in pdesolve, consider converting your equations to dimensionless form before solving and reintroducing units after obtaining the dimensionless solution.

Best regard,
livetheorangelife
Top Tags