cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can subscribe to a forum, label or individual post and receive email notifications when someone posts a new topic or reply. Learn more! X

Export in STEP file also 3D Annotations and Symbols from Creo Elements Direc Modeling 20.5

GiovanniSpada
6-Contributor

Export in STEP file also 3D Annotations and Symbols from Creo Elements Direc Modeling 20.5

Customers are asking to export 3D Annotation and 3D Symbols in STEP files as well as 3D notes.

This because in next future customers are going to avoid creating 2D drawings for single parts, too.

9 REPLIES 9

Thank you for your question.
I encourage you to bring more details and context to your initial inquiry. This will make it easier for you to receive meaningful help from other Community members.
Regards,
Andra

Do you have customers that want to discard 2D drawing for parts ? If yes, I think they asked to you to enrich data export by step.

For example with 3D annotation containing tolerances, surface roughness, and everything necessary to produce parts without 2D drawing.

Now Creo Elements Direct Modeling, do not export these data in STEP format.

Hi Giovanni,

I looked in the "Help" and searched for the available options.

FriedhelmK_0-1702139542503.png

Then I added "all" possible 3D documentation to a model.

FriedhelmK_1-1702139886725.png

I then saved the model as .stp with the following options.

FriedhelmK_2-1702140039068.png

I loaded this .stp again, whereby I had also set the "Direct" option again.

FriedhelmK_3-1702140520792.png

Below is the result. Only the 3D note had been transferred, everything else was no longer there.

FriedhelmK_4-1702140718156.png

Then I searched the net and saw STEP "ap242".
I tried the suggested search term.
-> step ap203 vs ap214 vs ap242
Found among others.

https://www.nist.gov/services-resources/software/step-file-analyzer-and-viewer

I think that describes what you mean.

But can something like this replace the 2D drawings ? 🤔
In general. Here in the forum you will have no effect with your request at PTC.
You can only try to submit it as a suggestion for improvement.
You can find it here:

https://community.ptc.com/t5/Creo-Elements-Direct-Ideas/idb-p/creoelementsdirectideas

Best regards, nice weekend and all the best with this project

Friedhelm

(Please write info in your Signature) Sysinfo: I use Creo Elements Direct /Drafting, /Modeling and /Modeling Express 8.0 ( formerly CoCreate- SolidDesigner and Drafting or ME10 )

Hi Friedhelm

Thanks for your reply. Let me tell you that before writing on forum I made all tests you suggested, and I read the help, and so on ...

That's why I wrote on forum, 

Let me tell you that if you will search inside Creo Elements Direc Ideas you will find an Idea posted by me (I don't remember how many years ago) asking to introduce STEP AP 242 but nothing happens ...

So I tried this way ...

Hello Giovanni,
First of all, thank you for answering at all, which unfortunately doesn't always happen.
It's nice that you had already tried all this before, but why didn't you mention it in your question?

FriedhelmK_0-1702642578335.png

So it's just a pity about the time I invested, nothing more.

Regarding your statement
>Let me tell you that if you will search inside Creo Elements Direc Ideas you will find an Idea posted by me (I don't remember how many years ago) asking to introduce STEP AP 242 but nothing happens ...
I looked it up and found this.
https://community.ptc.com/t5/Creo-Elements-Direct-Ideas/Step-242-Support/idi-p/631576
But it's not from you, you just supported it.
After all, already 52 votes and "Under Consideration"
Maybe your wish will come true.

(Please write info in your Signature) Sysinfo: I use Creo Elements Direct /Drafting, /Modeling and /Modeling Express 8.0 ( formerly CoCreate- SolidDesigner and Drafting or ME10 )

Hello Friedhelm

Sorry for your time, and sorry for my mistake,

You are right, idea have been created by another person and I only voted for it, but (as you can see) it was on 2019 and in meantime I got confusion.

But customers ask me to export dimensions in STEP.

Hello Giovanni,

that's good, at least I learned also something in the process. 👨‍🔧
Do you have any information which major CAD programs are already able to use this?

>But customers ask me to export dimensions in STEP.

What do they use?

If you really need this extension, I would try to get other users excited about it.
You can draw their attention to the already existing idea and ask them to vote for it.

https://community.ptc.com/t5/Creo-Elements-Direct-Ideas/Step-242-Support/idi-p/631576
After all, already 52 (now 53 👍) votes and "Under Consideration".

Why start something new?

You can write a comment there yourself.
Voting is one thing, but a comment with well-founded reasons has more impact on those who judge.

Another argument is that Creo "Parmetric" already seems to have it.

https://support.ptc.com/help/creo/creo_pma/usascii/index.html#page/data_exchange%2Finterface%2FAbout_STEP_Files.html%23

https://support.ptc.com/help/creo/creo_pma/usascii/index.html#page/data_exchange%2Finterface%2FExporting_Part_or_Assembly_to_STEP.html%23

So, enough now, I think I'm doing your job here 😂

Have a nice weekend.

Hello FriedhelmK

What are CADs with STEP 242 export ? As you wrote Creo Parametric. And, in my opinion, this should be enough to ask for having same functionality in Creo Elements Direct Modeling.

Why customers ask to export dimensions in STEP ? As I wrote in my post: "Do you have customers that want to discard 2D drawing for parts ? If yes, I think they asked to you to enrich data export by step"

I'm trying to understand how to add info in my signature, as you asked. In meantime I can tell you I work for Lutech CDM (Previuous CDM Tecnocnsulting, previous CDM ISIGRAF) since 1992 and I'm Senior Consultant in CAD/PLM system and Customer Care Team Leader. I use Creo Elements DIrect Modeling/Drafting since 1988 (Me10 and Me30).

Last, I will follow your tip to comment existing ideas.

Thank you and best regards, Giovanni

Hello Giovanni,

About the "my signature"

FriedhelmK_2-1702933207385.png

and

FriedhelmK_1-1702932887130.png

Best regards

Friedhelm

Top Tags