cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Help us improve the PTC Community by taking this short Community Survey! X

Save as IGES/STEP - not available

NM_11035285
1-Newbie

Save as IGES/STEP - not available

Hi - I'm a very fresh newbie so hopefully an easy question...

I have generated some 2D geometry and want to export it to IGES (or STEP).

When I go to File/Save I do not see the IGES or STEP option under file type - any ideas?

An associated issue perhaps - the 2D geometry sits on the active workplane do these need to belong to a Part for export, and if so how?

I'm using Direct Modelling Express 8.0

thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Thanks both for the guidance (I had assumed the manual pages I was looking at related to Modeling Express, but clearly not the case)

all the best

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Direct Modeling express is basically advertisement for PTC Creo Elements/Direct Modeling.  It has a lot of reduced capabilities.  Part of that is not being able to export anything but STL files and native files.

Creo Element\Direct Modeling 20.6.0.0.0

Modeling Express cannot save 2D to STEP.

Modeling Express cannot save 2D directly to IGES. The method to use is:

- On Annotation, save as a bundle (file extension bd2).

- Unzip the bundle. You will get a file named am_2d_0.mi (the original file format for 2D).

- On windows, go to C:\Program Files\PTC\Creo Elements\Direct Modeling Express 8.0\iges2d and start iges for the conversion.

You can save to DXF or DWG with C:\Program Files\PTC\Creo Elements\Direct Modeling Express 8.0\dxfdwg\dxfdwg.exe as well.

Modeling Express is free, this is why many functionalities are removed.

"... the 2D geometry sits on the active workplane ..." Modeling Express cannot save 2D to IGES, STEP, DXF/DWG 2D on a workplane whatever the workplane belongs to.

http://kotom.eng.free.fr

Thanks both for the guidance (I had assumed the manual pages I was looking at related to Modeling Express, but clearly not the case)

all the best

The Modeling Express documentation is derived from its commercial big brother Modeling. All topics have not been completely adapted to Modeling Express. This is why you may read in the Modeling Express documentation that a given functionality is available in Modeling Express, and in reality, not.

http://kotom.eng.free.fr
Top Tags