cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get called away in the middle of writing a post? Don't worry you can find your unfinished post later in the Drafts section of your profile page. X

Borrowed license hangs

j0sizemore
4-Participant

Borrowed license hangs

I need some quick help - I have a user who is heading out of the country for a week to go onsite at a customer location.

The Creo license that he borrowed shows up correctly in PTCstatus. The borrowed license starts Creo 2.0 immediately when the laptop is NOTconnected toany network. However, if he is on his home network or any miscellaneous network, Creo startup hangs.

Has anyone else seen this? It acts like the license is tied to the LAN but I know he was on the wireless network when he borrowed the license so the license should be tied to the wireless card.

Is there anyone out there who is more familiar with license borrowing who might be able to give me some troubleshooting tips?

Thanks in advance!

Joanna Bruner

1 REPLY 1

Is it crashing or giving a no license error? Can he fire up Creo unplugged, then plug in?

I was thinking that it sounds like an issue with Media Sense, where Windows shuts down the network card when it's not plugged in. Creo will use the network card that appears first in the list (in the registry) for licensing. I suspect that the network card is before the wireless, but it was turned off when he borrowed it. When plugged in, the network card is on and Creo is looking for a license tied to it. That would throw a license error, though, not hang/crash Creo I would think.

If it's the issue I'm thinking above, there was a registry hack that would put the proper card at the top of the list so Creo would see it regardless. It's been a long time since I've done that, though, I'm not sure what you need to change. But, Google is your friend; I found these which may help, if you're willing to edit the registry:

--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn
Top Tags