cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

Browser stops working in older version of Creo when newer version is installed

Chris3
20-Turquoise

Browser stops working in older version of Creo when newer version is installed

I have Creo 9 and 10 installed but Creo 7 is our production version. When Creo 9 or 10 gets installed the browser in Creo 7 stops working. Browser is set to Chrome.

Any idea how to prevent 9 or 10 from changing the browser in 7?

Install is a local install.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

@MartinHanak wrote:

Hi,

just little comment ...

1.] imagine I have clean computer without any Creo installation

2.] I install Creo 7.0 into c:\ptc\creo_parametric-7.0 directory

• Creo 7.0 Platform Agent is located in c:\ptc\creo_parametric-7.0\Creo directory in two subdirectories - Agent and Platform

3.] I install Creo 8.0 into c:\ptc\creo_parametric-8.0 directory

• Creo 8.0 Platform Agent installation updates the contents of c:\ptc\creo_parametric-7.0\Creo\Agent directory 
  • Creo 8.0 Platform Agent is located in Creo 7.0 installation ... c:\ptc\creo_parametric-7.0\Creo\Agent directory
    and also in Creo 8.0 installation ... c:\ptc\creo_parametric-8.0\Creo\Platform directory

This means that the installations mentioned above are not independent !

Thank you for pointing that out. I should also have added that I also uninstall Creo Parametric after install. So my steps are:

• On my laptop install Creo Parametric into version specific folder
    • c:/ptc/creo_parametric-10.0
  • rename the install directory to build specific eg
    • c:/ptc/creo_parametric-10.0.1.0
  • 7zip the renamed install directory
    • creates creo_parametric-10.0.1.0.7z 
    • Use this for "installs" both local and network
  • rename the directory back to original name c:/ptc/creo_parametric-10.0 so the uninstaller will work
  • Uninstall Creo Parametric
    • Which then uninstalls the offending Creo Platform/Agent
    • This is actually much easier now with the uninstall all related items if you start with uninstalling Creo Parametric first
  • unzip the 7zipped earlier for a local "install"
    • This creates creo_parametric-10.0.1.0
    • rename to creo_parametric-10.0

Using this method allows you to easily have multiple versions/builds and switch easily by  simply renaming directories:

eg

• c:/ptc
    • creo_parametric-10.0/
    • creo_parametric-10.0.0.0/
    • creo_parametric-9.0/
    • creo_parametric-9.0.4.0/

Firing up Creo Parametric 9.0 (custom bat file) will then launch what ever build is currently in c:/ptc/creo_parametric-9.0. This same custom script will set the CREO_AGENT_EXE_PATH and CREO_AGENT_LDP_LIST appropriately.

The PTC installer needs improvement for the Creo Platform/Agent installation.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:Chris3)

Do you have this in your Creo 7 config.pro?

windows_browser_type chromium_browser

I have no problems switching between Creo 9.0.5.0 and 7.0.10.0.

Running them both just now to verify that I can switch between Creo sessions with no issues.

Chris3
20-Turquoise
(To:BenLoosli)

windows_browser_type chromium_browser is the default setting in Creo 7 and 8. In Creo 9 it is depreciated.

https://creosite.com/index.php/configuration/config-pro-option-search/compare-creo9-with-creo8-config-options/ 

https://www.ptc.com/en/support/article/CS356984 

So no I don't have it set in my config.pro but it is set as the default by Creo.

llie
16-Pearl

We found out thru testing that you also need to set the computer default browser to Chrome. Having the two defaults (computer and Creo) set differently caused issues with stand alone Windchill, ModelCheck, and Creo embedded browser.

RandyJones
19-Tanzanite

I always install in a specified directory for each eg:

• c:/ptc/creo_parametric-7.0
  • c:/ptc/creo_parametric-8.0
  • c:/ptc/creo_parametric-9.0

This way the creo agent/platform for each version get installed in it's own directory eg:

• c:/ptc/creo_parametric-7.0/Creo
    • Agent
    • Platform
  • c:/ptc/creo_parametric-8.0/Creo
    • Agent
    • Platform

Then I set both CREO_AGENT_EXE_PATH and CREO_AGENT_LDP_LIST environment variables appropriately with a custom startup .bat file. See article CS255889.

Otherwise, despite what PTC claims about newer Platform/Agent working with older versions, it has never worked for me without doing these workarounds.

@RandyJones wrote:

I always install in a specified directory for each eg:

• c:/ptc/creo_parametric-7.0
  • c:/ptc/creo_parametric-8.0
  • c:/ptc/creo_parametric-9.0

This way the creo agent/platform for each version get installed in it's own directory eg:

• c:/ptc/creo_parametric-7.0/Creo
    • Agent
    • Platform
  • c:/ptc/creo_parametric-8.0/Creo
    • Agent
    • Platform

Then I set both CREO_AGENT_EXE_PATH and CREO_AGENT_LDP_LIST environment variables appropriately with a custom startup .bat file. See article CS255889.

Otherwise, despite what PTC claims about newer Platform/Agent working with older versions, it has never worked for me without doing these workarounds.

Hi,

just little comment ...

• Creo 7.0 Platform Agent is located in c:\ptc\creo_parametric-7.0\Creo directory in two subdirectories - Agent and Platform

• Creo 8.0 Platform Agent installation updates the contents of c:\ptc\creo_parametric-7.0\Creo\Agent directory 
  • Creo 8.0 Platform Agent is located in Creo 7.0 installation ... c:\ptc\creo_parametric-7.0\Creo\Agent directory
    and also in Creo 8.0 installation ... c:\ptc\creo_parametric-8.0\Creo\Platform directory

Martin Hanák

You're correct, that's one of the reasons that for our "installation" for users we have actually stopped installing Creo. We install once on a test computer, move the Creo folder from it's installation location to a similar location as shown above and add the lines for the .pcf files to find Agent and Platform. We then just zip up our installation location folder and our "installation" then just unzips those files into place. We were actually led to this when we had problems with Creo and WorkGroup Manager installations messing with each other's CreoAgent.

@rreifsnyder wrote:

You're correct, that's one of the reasons that for our "installation" for users we have actually stopped installing Creo. We install once on a test computer, move the Creo folder from it's installation location to a similar location as shown above and add the lines for the .pcf files to find Agent and Platform. We then just zip up our installation location folder and our "installation" then just unzips those files into place. We were actually led to this when we had problems with Creo and WorkGroup Manager installations messing with each other's CreoAgent.

Hi,

I use the same "installation procedure".

Martin Hanák

@MartinHanak wrote:

Hi,

just little comment ...

Thank you for pointing that out. I should also have added that I also uninstall Creo Parametric after install. So my steps are:

• On my laptop install Creo Parametric into version specific folder
  • rename the install directory to build specific eg
    • c:/ptc/creo_parametric-10.0.1.0
  • 7zip the renamed install directory
    • creates creo_parametric-10.0.1.0.7z 
    • Use this for "installs" both local and network
  • rename the directory back to original name c:/ptc/creo_parametric-10.0 so the uninstaller will work
  • Uninstall Creo Parametric
    • Which then uninstalls the offending Creo Platform/Agent
    • This is actually much easier now with the uninstall all related items if you start with uninstalling Creo Parametric first
  • unzip the 7zipped earlier for a local "install"
    • This creates creo_parametric-10.0.1.0
    • rename to creo_parametric-10.0

Using this method allows you to easily have multiple versions/builds and switch easily by  simply renaming directories:

eg

• c:/ptc
    • creo_parametric-10.0/
    • creo_parametric-10.0.0.0/
    • creo_parametric-9.0/
    • creo_parametric-9.0.4.0/

Firing up Creo Parametric 9.0 (custom bat file) will then launch what ever build is currently in c:/ptc/creo_parametric-9.0. This same custom script will set the CREO_AGENT_EXE_PATH and CREO_AGENT_LDP_LIST appropriately.

The PTC installer needs improvement for the Creo Platform/Agent installation.

Chris3
20-Turquoise
(To:RandyJones)

Still working through this but we currently don't have the Creo agent set to a different path and I do believe that is my issue. CS255889 states:

Note: Do not set environment variable CREO_AGENT_EXE_PATH in case of Creo Platform services running from a local installation drive

I am not sure why it would matter but just to confirm you set the path to a local drive anyways? No issues?

@Chris3 wrote:

Still working through this but we currently don't have the Creo agent set to a different path and I do believe that is my issue. CS255889 states:

Note: Do not set environment variable CREO_AGENT_EXE_PATH in case of Creo Platform services running from a local installation drive

I am not sure why it would matter but just to confirm you set the path to a local drive anyways? No issues?

Hi,

below you can see two lines which I added at the end of parametric.psf in my Creo 9.0.2.0 local installation.

ENV=CREO_AGENT_EXE_PATH=E:\PTC\Creo9_020\Creo\Agent\creoagent.exe
ENV=CREO_AGENT_LDP_LIST=E:\PTC\Creo9_020\Creo\Platform\9\manifests

Martin Hanák
RandyJones
19-Tanzanite

@Chris3 wrote:

No it does not matter the article is wrong in that case. Also see my reply to @MartinHanak above.

Chris3
20-Turquoise

Apparently there is a bug in 10.0.1 that causes this issue. Do not install this version if you need to have multiple versions of Creo on your machine.

Article: https://www.ptc.com/en/support/article/cs182686 

RadovanMíček
14-Alexandrite

The solution si here

• Go to Windows Control Panel Apps > select PTC Creo 10 Platform Services > Modify > Repair

https://www.ptc.com/en/support/article/CS398247 

Software consultant.
Top Tags