cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

Creo 8.0.6.0 crashes on model open

Dobi
14-Alexandrite

Creo 8.0.6.0 crashes on model open

I have a Creo assembly (saved as from another assembly) that, when I go to open in Creo, crashes the session. 

I provided PTC Tech Support with the assembly and they can't replicate the crash - i.e. it opens fine on their end. It doesn't open on any of the systems we have.

I can only open the model if I select "Open Subset" and then activate the Master Rep from within there. But if I forget and from Windchill select "Open In Creo", it crashes Creo. The same crash happens if I export the files to the C:\ drive and open from there so it isn't Windchill related. 

Creo writes a handful of files in addition to the traceback.log to the start directory. And it's been writing a Creo file in there that doesn't open in Creo ("Cannot retrieve file" says the error when I tried). 

Dobi_0-1690411237021.png

That Creo file is explicitly called out in the std.out file:

Dobi_1-1690411267651.png

Is there a way to find out what the file is in real life? Does anyone have any other troubleshooting exercises or codes to decipher the traceback.log or std.out files? 

Does the process ID in the traceback.log match up to a process ID of a particular service that I can trace back to ?

Dobi_2-1690411408318.png

I thought this was related to some circular references that existed but at this point all of them are resolved and the file still crashes. 

Any help is much appreciated!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Dobi
14-Alexandrite
(To:Dobi)

PTC tech support reviewed this and the fix was to add the following line in the config.pro:

retrieve_display foreground

Not sure what the underlying issue ultimately was but that line fixed the crashing. 

Without that, the workaround was to open subset in Creo, and then activate the correct representation. 

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Dobi
14-Alexandrite

I was able to sort out the Creo file and it's a flexible component 2 levels down from the top level. It also has a User Defined simplified rep. 

This file is used in many assemblies but it only crashes this particular one... 

Does anyone know what the ids_gen_simp_rep_db points to? I'm guessing it's got something to do with the representations.

JamesAvis
14-Alexandrite

If PTC isn't able to reproduce it with the same exported file, try it without your config.pro, config.sup, startup script, etc.  You could also try with the config setting "graphics" = "win32_gdi" to disable the graphics card.  If it is a graphics issue, updating the driver may help.

Dobi
14-Alexandrite
(To:JamesAvis)

Tried all that but still no luck on my end. 

I followed the trail of std.out files to essentially narrow it down to flexible models and/or harness features. I made a copy of the model and started just taking out those bits until I got to a working assembly but that doesn't help since we need those other assemblies in there. 

And the model itself is a save as from back a few models ago but only the last 2 in the history of save-as have this crashing issue. 

Dobi
14-Alexandrite

PTC tech support reviewed this and the fix was to add the following line in the config.pro:

Not sure what the underlying issue ultimately was but that line fixed the crashing. 

Without that, the workaround was to open subset in Creo, and then activate the correct representation. 

StephenW
23-Emerald II

Thanks for posting the solution. I think I have experienced this in the past. Hopefully I'll remember this next time it happens!

RandyJones
19-Tanzanite

@Dobi wrote:

In my opinion this is not really a solution but a work around. You have 2 choices:

• Leave this in your config.pro forever which impacts retrieval times for all models forever.
  • Or remember to put it in when you want to open this specific assembly.
    • Especially troublesome if you have Windchill and cad workers involved

Neither one would be a good choice in my mind. The solution would be for PTC to fix the exit. You have a reproducible exit so unless it is a corrupted asm file this is something that should be fixed in a maintenance build.

Dobi
14-Alexandrite
(To:RandyJones)

I don't disagree with this assesment. It is a workaround but one that's more effective than the Open Subset, go to View Manager and mess with representations one. 

PTC offered this up as a fix while their SPR continues so hopefully some more elegant solution will materialize in some subsequent date code. I wanted to close the loop on this in the interim. 

We do run Windchill and have multiple CAD workers but those seemed to have not been impacted... but they also are running Creo 9 so perhaps this is a Creo 8 issue. 

RandyJones
19-Tanzanite

@Dobi wrote:

I don't disagree with this assesment. It is a workaround but one that's more effective than the Open Subset, go to View Manager and mess with representations one. 

Yes that is for sure.

PTC offered this up as a fix while their SPR continues so hopefully some more elegant solution will materialize in some subsequent date code. I wanted to close the loop on this in the interim. 

Yes PTC getting this fixed is the long term solution.

We do run Windchill and have multiple CAD workers but those seemed to have not been impacted... but they also are running Creo 9 so perhaps this is a Creo 8 issue. 

It might be fixed in Creo 9 - would be easy enough for you to test. Or it could be "fixed" in the cad workers simply because they don't actually display the models in a window.

Top Tags