cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - New to the community? Learn how to post a question and get help from PTC and industry experts! X

Creo Elements Direct 8.0 License Server

rtrski
6-Contributor

Creo Elements Direct 8.0 License Server

As per this topic

Having similar issue - I can get the 72 hour key, but I've had to do it for like 3 weekends straight now.  This is the longest run ever, in about 5 years of using this product I can only remember single weekend outages in the past.

Creo, gents! You offer a fantastic free use product here - but locking us out when the phone-home connection doesn't work for nearly a month is going to make me finally consider thems other guys I otherwise hate (Fusion, cough).  Please don't make me do that.

If keeping a license server active for a free product is too much of a drain, please consider a reasonable hobby-tier purchase! I'd be willing to pay a Benjamin or so for an annual, local license key.

4 REPLIES 4
VladimirN
24-Ruby II
(To:rtrski)

By the way, you can bring all your ideas here - "Creo Elements/Direct Ideas": https://community.ptc.com/t5/Creo-Elements-Direct-Ideas/idb-p/creoelementsdirectideas

rtrski
6-Contributor
(To:VladimirN)

And....how does that help with the license server (STILL) down one more weekend later?

C'mon guys. Your free license is extremely generous -- if it needs to stop, then OFFER US A WAY TO WORK OFFLINE even if at some compensation.  This really will push me to Fusion. I have gobs of Creo pkg files I'd rather NOT just export to STL And re-import .... but if you leave me little choice, I am not going to get iced out of my years of work.

I can still get the 72 hour keys but the delay is grating. (Yes, first world problems and all that...)

rtrski
6-Contributor
(To:VladimirN)

And yet another week needing 72 hour licenses....

rtrski
6-Contributor
(To:rtrski)

Well, we have our real answer.  They will never fix the 'automatic login' license server handshake.

They've updated the product page to specifically state that only the 72 hour window is offered now (emphasis added below):

System requirements:

• Operating System:
    • Windows 10 64-bit Editions: Windows 10, Pro and Enterprise
    • Windows 8.1 64-bit Editions: Windows 8.1, Pro and Enterprise
  • Ram: ≥ 4 GB
  • Disk Space: ≥ 2 GB
  • Internet: Active Internet connection required to run software every 72 hours

Personally I see this as a first step to discontinuing the free version offer entirely, and will begin offboarding all my existing work to STL for reimport elsewhere, and start learning something else.  It's only prudent.  I've really enjoyed using this software though and would love to see an actual official reply that indicates otherwise. 

(Yes, I know, even if they offered a one-time $150 offer or something for non-timegated present version for hobbyist use, that's no long term promise of support.  Company plans change, and Windows updates could break it.  But right now, silence is deafening.  The only evidence I have of intent toward hobbyists is a partial retraction of former abilities.)

Top Tags