cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get an answer that solved your problem? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution so others with the same problem can find the answer easily. X

Custom folder for parametric.psf

Mat
13-Aquamarine
13-Aquamarine

Custom folder for parametric.psf

Hi there,

in Creo's bin folder (e.g. C:\Program Files\PTC\Creo 10.0.2.0\Parametric\bin ) there is a "parametric.bat", which executes

@echo off
"C:\Program Files\PTC\Creo 10.0.2.0\Parametric\bin\parametric.exe" "C:\Program Files\PTC\Creo 10.0.2.0\Parametric\bin\parametric.psf" %*

Is it possible to place that batch file and the corresponding "parametric.psf" anywhere else?

e.g.

C:\temp\%username%\custom-parametric.bat with

@echo off
"C:\Program Files\PTC\Creo 10.0.2.0\Parametric\bin\parametric.exe" "C:\temp\%username%\custom-parametric.psf" %*

I tried it, but it did not worked so far.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Mat
13-Aquamarine
13-Aquamarine
(To:Mat)

I think I have it.

Instead of altering parametric.psf every time, I remove every "feature" in parametric.psf once and alter those settings via the "set" command by my start script.

set PRO_LANG=frensh
set CREOPMA_FEATURE_NAME=PROE_DesignEss (10119 10113)
set PTC_D_LICENSE_FILE=7788@my_license-server.com
<loadpoint>\Parametric\bin\parametric.bat

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
MartinHanak
24-Ruby II

@Mat wrote:

Hi there,

in Creo's bin folder (e.g. C:\Program Files\PTC\Creo 10.0.2.0\Parametric\bin ) there is a "parametric.bat", which executes

@echo off
"C:\Program Files\PTC\Creo 10.0.2.0\Parametric\bin\parametric.exe" "C:\Program Files\PTC\Creo 10.0.2.0\Parametric\bin\parametric.psf" %*

Is it possible to place that batch file and the corresponding "parametric.psf" anywhere else?

e.g.

C:\temp\%username%\custom-parametric.bat with

@echo off
"C:\Program Files\PTC\Creo 10.0.2.0\Parametric\bin\parametric.exe" "C:\temp\%username%\custom-parametric.psf" %*

I tried it, but it did not worked so far.

Hi,

my suggestion ... do not play with OOTB location of psf files. I am almost sure PTC does not support different location of these files.

Maybe you can explain what do you need to achieve and why.

Martin Hanák
Mat
13-Aquamarine
13-Aquamarine
(To:MartinHanak)

Hi Martin,

the parametric.psf contains e.g. language settings, license type and server, special configurations like CEF_DEBUG_PORT and so on.

I wrote a small Dialog, where Users can choose their desired license. They also can define settings like language in their own "user-config.psf".

Mandatory settings like the license server address are stored in a company configuration file.

When the user clicks on "START CREO", all important config files get combined to "C:\Program Files\PTC\Creo 10.0.2.0\Parametric\bin\parametric.psf".

But unfortunately this requires write access to that folder "C:\Program Files\PTC\Creo 10.0.2.0\Parametric\bin\", which is not always granted.

Mat
13-Aquamarine
13-Aquamarine
(To:Chris3)

Thanks for the documentation.

But it only says, that you have to call a specific psf-file according to Your license choice.

To use that (instead of my script / programm, which dynamically generates parametric.psf at every start), I would have to make a psf - file for every possible configuration (license, language, debug port, etc.).

I hoped, that PTC would at least provide some startup options.

Like:

call <loadpoint>\bin\parametric.bat PRO_LANG=frensh PTC_D_LICENSE_FILE-=7788@my_license-server.com CREOPMA_FEATURE_NAME=PROE_DesignEss (10119 10113)

Otherwise, I have to change PTC's parametric.psf at every start of Creo, which would be much more convenient if those files could be located somewhere else (e.g. a folder, where the user has write access).

MartinHanak
24-Ruby II

@Mat wrote:

Thanks for the documentation.

But it only says, that you have to call a specific psf-file according to Your license choice.

To use that (instead of my script / programm, which dynamically generates parametric.psf at every start), I would have to make a psf - file for every possible configuration (license, language, debug port, etc.).

I hoped, that PTC would at least provide some startup options.

Like:

call <loadpoint>\bin\parametric.bat PRO_LANG=frensh PTC_D_LICENSE_FILE-=7788@my_license-server.com CREOPMA_FEATURE_NAME=PROE_DesignEss (10119 10113)

Otherwise, I have to change PTC's parametric.psf at every start of Creo, which would be much more convenient if those files could be located somewhere else (e.g. a folder, where the user has write access).

Hi,

let me ask a simple question...why didn't you ask PTC Support?

Martin Hanák
Mat
13-Aquamarine
13-Aquamarine

@MartinHanak wrote:

Hi,

let me ask a simple question...why didn't you ask PTC Support?

Unfortunately, my company's support contract does not "allow" me to contact PTC directly.

We have a contract with a PTC reseller, who sells its own "let's start creo with some options"-software.

MartinHanak
24-Ruby II

@Mat wrote:

Hi Martin,

the parametric.psf contains e.g. language settings, license type and server, special configurations like CEF_DEBUG_PORT and so on.

I wrote a small Dialog, where Users can choose their desired license. They also can define settings like language in their own "user-config.psf".

Mandatory settings like the license server address are stored in a company configuration file.

When the user clicks on "START CREO", all important config files get combined to "C:\Program Files\PTC\Creo 10.0.2.0\Parametric\bin\parametric.psf".

But unfortunately this requires write access to that folder "C:\Program Files\PTC\Creo 10.0.2.0\Parametric\bin\", which is not always granted.

Hi,

your note that write access to that folder ... is not always granted is little bit confusing. I do not understand why some of your user do have write access and others do not.

---

Silly solution:

• generate all possible psf file variants ... use suitable pattern for file naming
  • save them into Parametric\bin directory
  • modify your script to select the right psf file and call it to start Creo

Martin Hanák
Mat
13-Aquamarine
13-Aquamarine

@MartinHanak wrote:

Hi,

your note that write access to that folder ... is not always granted is little bit confusing. I do not understand why some of your user do have write access and others do not.

---

Creo is usually installed within "C:\Program Files", which "read only" for the average user.

My IT - department does not grant "admin access" for every user. So not every user can tune those permissions themself.

MartinHanak
24-Ruby II

Hi,

FYI ... personal rules related to Creo installations on my notebook are:

• all my installations are located on E: drive
  • I set maximum access rights for Everyone to the whole E: drive
  • I created E:\PTC directory
  • I do not use E:\PTC directory as installation directory
  • for every Creo release I create new subdirectory
  • eg. I install Creo 10.0.2.0 into E:\PTC\Creo10_020 directory
    • this means E:\PTC\Creo10_020\Creo 10.0.2.0\Parametric\bin directory is created with full access

Martin Hanák
Mat
13-Aquamarine
13-Aquamarine

I think I have it.

Instead of altering parametric.psf every time, I remove every "feature" in parametric.psf once and alter those settings via the "set" command by my start script.

set PRO_LANG=frensh
set CREOPMA_FEATURE_NAME=PROE_DesignEss (10119 10113)
set PTC_D_LICENSE_FILE=7788@my_license-server.com
<loadpoint>\Parametric\bin\parametric.bat

Top Tags