cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can change your system assigned username to something more personal in your community settings. X

Defaulting config files and working directory

ptc-2193480
1-Newbie

Defaulting config files and working directory

Hello Everyone, Is there options in pro E for it to default to a specific working directory? Also, how do you set a specific config.pro to default when opening pro E? Third, how do you set default customized config.win file?
This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
6 REPLIES 6

1. Use the startup icon in Windows. Execute in or so points to your start folder. You can create more than one icon, one for each project. 2. Load sequence for config.pro - \loadpoint\text - home folder - startup folder newer statements overwrite earlier ones statements in \loadpoint\text\config.sup will not be overwrittten. I have a basic config.pro in my \text folder and project specific statements in my startup folder. 3. Create your environment and save it in your \text or startup folder.

Can you please clarify a bit more. It's hard to understand. Thanks.

"Reinhard Nueckel" wrote:

1. Use the startup icon in Windows. Execute in or so points to your start folder. You can create more than one icon, one for each project. 2. Load sequence for config.pro - \loadpoint\text - home folder - startup folder newer statements overwrite earlier ones statements in \loadpoint\text\config.sup will not be overwrittten. I have a basic config.pro in my \text folder and project specific statements in my startup folder. 3. Create your environment and save it in your \text or startup folder.

1) The start in directory tells you the directory you will be in when you start ProE. If there is a config.pro in there it should be loaded. 2) If you have more than one config.pro file and they are in the directories listed in the previous post they will be loaded in the order given. If the options are different in each config.pro the options will be appended. If you have an option loaded in more than one config.pro the value read last overwrites any previously loaded option (startup overwrites home folder overwrites loadpoint\text). The config.sup is a protected system file and the options in it can't be overwriten. ProE will try to load the option but instead show that there is a conflict (the dot beside the option in the options dialog box will be hatched instead of grey). 3) To customize your environment use Tools>Customize Screen. The dialog box has a line for where to save the config.win file. ProE loads config.win files the same way it loads config.pro files when starting. The model tree can also be setup and a file saved. It can be loaded with the config.pro option mdl_tree_cfg_file where you specify the path to the file.

Josh, if you are on Windows, better use the start-icon RMB # properties # execute in or similar (I have the german version) Then you can copy the icon and have different configs for different projects. Put all your project specific statements in your project-startup folder and the remaining ones in \text.

To recap what Rienhard has said, in a slightly different way: Config options are loaded from the following 6 potential sources. The first 5 are automatically called at startup. The first 4 are specific saved config files. 1.loadpoint\text\config.sup 2.loadpoint\text\config.pro 3.home directory\config.pro 4.starup directory\config.pro 5.<Default Settings> 6.specifically, "manually" loaded config files using Tools\Options Common examples of the saved files would be: 1.C:\proe Wildfire 4.0\text\config.sup 2.C:\proe Wildfire 4.o\text\config.pro 3.C:\Documents and Settings\john doe\config.pro 4.C:\ACE WIDGETS\config.pro OR C:\ACE WIDGETS\Project 32\config.pro 5. --- 6.C:\ACE WIDGETS\Project 37\config.pro OR C:\ACE WIDGETS\SHEETMETAL WORK\special.pro To repeat, and this could be where you are having problems, as each automatically loaded file is read, in order, its option values override any preceding settings, except that the "locked" values of the first file (config.sup) cannot be overwritten. For example, if file #2 has a setting "bell no" and file #3 has a setting "bell yes", the result will be "bell yes". However if file #1 has a setting "bell no" it cannot be overwritten by files #2, 3, or 4. This is where an administrator will establish company standards which must remain unchanged. Files #6 can be used for all sorts of special settings, such as changing Units from Imperial to Metric or changing the number of default decimal places. Folks frequently call such files with mapkeys so that they can easily toggle between settings.
Top Tags