cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about PTC Community Badges. Engage with PTC and see how many you can earn! X

Deleting the whole group

STEVEG
21-Topaz I

Deleting the whole group

In WF3 if I select any of the objects within a group it will delete the whole group. We will be moving to WF4 soon and if I select any of the objects within a group it only deletes that feature and children objects in the group. Not the whole group. Is there a way toput it back like WF3? I looked for a config option but didn't notice any.

I am sure many, if not all, would wonder why but we have a good reason. One of our engineering groups deals mostly with UDF's.They work with manifold blocks and hydraulic valves.All ofthe assemblies they work on use a manifold block and each manifold is probablymade up of 95%UDFs/groups. However they work mostly on the model and not the model tree.

When they went to delete a feature in WF3 then the whole group was deleted. In WF4 they have to find out what the feature number is then look in the model tree to delete the whole group. And if they have the model treeclosed they have to open it.

I know, only oneor or twoextra steps. I thought PTC was trying to cut down the number of steps. Many people on these boards have mentioned other commands have added steps. I understand why they did it and I personally think it's a good thing they did. But for our situation we liked it the way it was in WF3.

They should have at least offered it as a config option.

I am sure we are stuck with this but is there a way to put it back?

Steve G

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
5 REPLIES 5

Steve,

Instead of selecting an object inside the group, could you just select and delete the group?

TROY MASON
Impulse Product Development
2445 Directors Row Ste C
Indianapolis, IN 46241
www.impulseproductdevelopment.com
www.impulseproductdevelopment.com/blog
www.facebook.com/impulseproductdevelopment

Steve,

Select the feature for the UDF/Group and then right click and at bottom of context menu use "Select Group" This will select the parent group for the feature.

Patrick Johnson
[cid:image001.jpg@01CB0E34.1DC9E510]
STEVEG
21-Topaz I
(To:STEVEG)

Thank you Pat. We never knew that was there because it was so easy to pick a feature then hit the delete key. That Select Group is even there is WF3. But even with this other way it is two extra clicks.

Steve G
A.DelNegro
4-Participant
(To:STEVEG)

The main 'improvement" I think PTC was going after here was that just
because you wanted to delete a feature that was contained in a group,
you didn't necessarily want to delete the whole group. This is how I
have always seen it. I've created groups and then been forced to
ungroup, delete and re-group in order to keep my model organized. Prior
to this improvement, this was a real PIA. I guess if you tally clicks
for both actions, there are probably less clicks in WF4, though not
necessarily for your action.

T

In WF3 PTC added the ability to drag features into and out of groups in the model tree. I just made a habit of dragging the one feature I wanted to delete out of the group and then deleting it separately. It's an extra step, but once you've dragged it out of the group, it's already hilighted so all you need to do is hit the delete key.

Jeff
Top Tags