cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - If community subscription notifications are filling up your inbox you can set up a daily digest and get all your notifications in a single email. X

Good Workstation Setup for Pro Engineer?

SamLamb
1-Newbie

Good Workstation Setup for Pro Engineer?

Hello,

I'm just wondering if anybody might have an idea on what the best workstation setup would be for creo 2.0? Right now we're using wildfire 4.0 but I might be able to talk upper management into upgrading to creo 2.0 so I should probably find something that would work for both just in case I don't get the upgrade. I'm finally going to get a new workstation and I have a max budget of $2,000. I already have an Nvidia K4000 graphics card to pop into it so I won't need a graphics card, monitor, keyboard etc. My company uses HP for workstations now so it will have to be HP branded and we normally use CDW for purchasing. The one I'm leaning towards now is:

http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/HP-Workstation-Z220-Core-i7-3770-3.4-GHz-Monitor-none/2973590.aspx?enkwrd=ALLPROD%3a%7cD8D17UT%2523ABA%7cAll%20Product%20Catalog#TS

Is there a better choice for my budget? Is Intel i7 better than Intel Xeon? I'm not very technical saavy when it comes to new computer specs so what would your reccomendation be? I appreciate your input.

Thanks,

Sam

7 REPLIES 7

For general modelling, assembly, drawing work I would pick the processor according to price (obviously!) but with reference to this list:

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html

(most regeneration, etc, only uses one or two cores so single-core speed is most important.)

If you're going to be doing lots of analysis then this list might be more relevant:

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html

(basically, you only need lots of cores if you're doing heavy analysis - FEA, CFD etc.)

For memory, 8GB is probably the minimum these days but should be fine for general modelling unless you work with really large assemblies and/or extremely detailed parts.

If you're going to be doing analysis then throw more memory at it - I'd suggest 24 GB minimum, more if you can (even as much as 64 GB).

For general performance and responsiveness, consider adding an SSD (solid state drive) as a boot/Windoze drive, keeping the 1 TB spinning drive for data (assuming you're going to be storing data locally - if it's all going on a network then downsize that if you can and save the money, or maybe even consider just having an SSD). I've heard good things about Samsung SSDs, enough that I've spent my own money on a 250 GB 840 at home - for work the 840 Pro is probably worth the extra cost.

Anyone else care to chip in?

Inoram
13-Aquamarine
(To:SamLamb)

I would say if you are going to go that route, at least do the 4770 over the 3770 (4th gen i7 over 3rd gen i7).

At least you already have the K4000.

I would say 16gig memory minimun, but that depends on what you are doing. Like more recently I was burying my 8gig and had to upgrade and I don't consider my asemblies that large.

This is what I ended up going with. It just seemed to be more up to date with technology and still within budget. I had to make a quick decision and I hope I'm in good shape with this one.

http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/HP-Workstation-Z420-Xeon-E5-1620-3.6-GHz-Monitor-none/2972489.aspx

Inoram
13-Aquamarine
(To:SamLamb)

What is your current computer?

I sugest you go for a visit on www.proesite.com

Benchmark results can be found there, you need only to choose between 32b or 64b

Looks like he'll do OK with what he's bought: the E5-1620 gets one of the fastest non-overclocked scores at 1507 seconds; the best I can see is 1422 (i7-3770) so that's only 6% faster.

Well, this topic is....hard.

I would never choose a hp, dell, and all those certified machines.

I prefer the recent new models in processor, memories, graphic cards, ssd storage devices, etc, and you can't have that in hp or dell computers because they will have to test it and certify those parts and that takes time.

And the quality / price of those machines is a joke in my opinion. I only use xeon if i get double processors and i don't really know if creo will use 2x processors

Top Tags