cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get an answer that solved your problem? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution so others with the same problem can find the answer easily. X

New Laptops

bbmane
1-Newbie

New Laptops

Hi all, Good day,

I am looking for new laptop for Pro-E and ANSYS use.

Could you please share your expereince about the compstibility of those softwares with the OS and other configurations.

Thanks in advance.

Regards

Balappa Mane

Dy Manager-Design

Amphenol Interconnet (I) Pvt Ltd

Pune, India

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
7 REPLIES 7
rkadam
4-Participant
(To:bbmane)

Hi sir

Go through laptop with graphics card.

And core i5

Ram should be at least 8 gb

rohit_rajan
13-Aquamarine

3D CAD softwares like Creo/Proe need powerful single cores and a simulation software like Ansys needs multiple cores.

Dell precision mobile workstations are good.

HP and lenovo mobile workstations are also good.

A Intel core i7 quad core processor with atleast 16 gb of ram and a workstation graphics card is the need.

There will many variations in the above said depending on your budget.

jvadalia
4-Participant

Hi Sir,

To choose for the laptops for Using Creo and Ansys.

The need should be first identified.

1) If your work is with small assemblies and component level analysis. Go with intel core i3 and i5 but should be of 4th generation technology and minimum RAM for such uses is 4 GB.

2) for an intermediate work like comparatively large assemblies like having around 1000 parts needs some what higher configuration. you can go with 8 core processors and minimum RAM of 8 GB.

3) If your work is on larger assemblies and iterative analysis work in Ansys. Then i suggest you to go with the 4th generation Entry level Workstations of HP and higher if required, because these are the best and bench marked successfully. Also you can choose to add Nvidia Graphics Cards if required for rendering and fast performances of retrieval of large assemblies.

4) For basic level of work i dont think to spend so much money on hardware.

Regards,

Jignesh

TomD.inPDX
17-Peridot

For Creo I run a Dell Precision M6600 with and Intel i7 with NVidia Quadro 3000M.  This was a PTC qualified computer.  The only upgrade required was the graphics since Creo wants 1024 minimum vertical resolution.  That shouldn't be a problem with the new 4K graphics other than compatible software releases.

Also remember you need the Pro version of Windows.

I've been trudging along with 8Gb of ram.  Oddly enough, it hadn't caused issue with Creo.  Issues with other apps, but not Creo.

The bottom line, if you depend on PTC support, you need a qualified platform.  Otherwise, you will never hear the end of it with tech support.  And Dell is certainly not the cheapest solution but they are easily maintained and time proven.  And you will be dependent on Dell video drivers as the latest NVidia drivers cause artifacts.

And the best upgrade to date; a 1Tb SSD.  User experience went from 5.9 to 7.1.  These computers boot slow until I did this upgrade.

Hello,

Check both documents. Remember that Creo only uses 1 core, so a cheap single core processor can be as good as an expensive quad-core processor. 

I agree with Alejandro with comments,

Creo is single threaded so only one core gets used except it will offload some functions in parallel (graphics generation is one I believe) so you can actually use about 1.5 cores. ANSYS will use two cores unless you purchase HPC licenses to get more cores.

Get the fastest single core CPU you can (most likely a two or four core processor). Take a look at the single thread benchmarks at PassMark CPU Benchmarks - Single Thread Performance. Pick the fastest one you can afford.

My comments are for physical cores not virtual cores (hyper threading off). Hyper threading is not recommended for CAD or Analysis. it does not help and the extra overhead seems to bring benchmarks down slightly.

Low density RAM is cheap. 8 GB will easily pay for itself especially with large assemblies or ANSYS.

I, myself, am a believer in SSD's. They have a larger than expected impact on CAD/Analysis benchmarks.

emetzger
3-Visitor

I have configured and purchased 7 Dell Precision machines to run Creo, ANSYS and many other simulation and CAD software. (We own A LOT of software!)

1 Dell Precision M2800 with SSD, only 16gb RAM, highest Nvidia available.

2 Dell Precision M3800's with SSD and only 16gb of memory, highest level Nvidia available. (not impressive performance...but suitable)

4 Dell Precision M4000 series (4600 thru 4800) with...same options as above. Very solid machines.

For the heaviest of computations, we use a dedicated "simulation workstation" (maxed out) used either as a solver or RDP.

If your company uses Dell, stick with their Precision line ONLY for any engineering application. Pump them up for simulation and analysis work, they will serve you will. They are not the best in every benchmark splitting hairs test, I get it. But they are very good.

Top Tags