cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get an answer that solved your problem? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution so others with the same problem can find the answer easily. X

Reduce number of Creo licenses in license-file or availlable licenses on Flexnet Server

Andy_Admin
8-Gravel

Reduce number of Creo licenses in license-file or availlable licenses on Flexnet Server

Hi!
I want to reduce the number of Creo 8 licenses either in the license file itself, on the Flexnet-server. or somehow else

How do I do that immediately?

(Flexnet Release Version: 11.17.1.0)

I don't want to have suggestions like "Cancel them". For Windchill I can just allocate a smaller number as I understand it.

For Creo: I login to PTC, go to Support - License Management, License Actions, Advanced Search, put the server host ID, click Search and see the licenses that I can retrieve.

But there is no option to put in a smaller number.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi dnordin, 

thanks for the answer. That will definitely benefit others.

I just found out, that I can just deinstall some of the licenses of one "package"

Login to PTC, go to Support - License Management, License Actions, Advanced Search, put the server host ID, click Search and see the licenses that I can retrieve

Then activate the checkbock in front of the license you want to change.

Click deinstall (I was afraid of that, because I did not want to deinstall all the licenses.)

A popup will appear, where you can specify the number of licenses.

It will ask you to confirm something, that's it.

You will the automatically get an E-Mail with the new file when you do the change.

And more E-Mails the more changes you do.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
dnordin
15-Moonstone
(To:Andy_Admin)

Andy,

With the PTC license manager, you can move a certain number of licenses onto another MAC address.  Another option is to create an options file on the FlexLM license server and use an option like MAX or RESERVE to restrict the number of licenses that are accessible.  Details of the options file are in the FlexLM document that came with the license manager.

Regards,

Dan N.

Hi dnordin, 

I just found out, that I can just deinstall some of the licenses of one "package"

Login to PTC, go to Support - License Management, License Actions, Advanced Search, put the server host ID, click Search and see the licenses that I can retrieve

Click deinstall (I was afraid of that, because I did not want to deinstall all the licenses.)

You will the automatically get an E-Mail with the new file when you do the change.

@Andy_Admin wrote:

Hi dnordin, 

Hi,

just a little note ... your "deinstall license" solution is more or less identical to the "move license" solution.

Martin Hanák
BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

My question is, why would you not want to have all of the licenses you are paying for active? Seems like a waste of company resources to let them sit idle in the PTC pool. At least if you have them all installed on your company server they are available if they ever become needed.

We don't pay for some licenses, but they are in the pool where I could generate the licenses. (For whatever reason, I cannot get PTC to tell me where these come from, that's the downside of nearly 20 years of license history.)

When you have these licenses in your installed license-file, somebody will sooner or later use them.

We don't want to be made to pay for the not used licenses after the next audit.

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

Ok, the best action is to deinstall some licenses, so you only have the number that you have bought or have on subscription in your installed pool.

@Andy_Admin wrote:

We don't pay for some licenses, but they are in the pool where I could generate the licenses. (For whatever reason, I cannot get PTC to tell me where these come from, that's the downside of nearly 20 years of license history.)

When you have these licenses in your installed license-file, somebody will sooner or later use them.

We don't want to be made to pay for the not used licenses after the next audit.

Hi,

you can deinstall unwanted licenses as @BenLoosli wrote. Also you can also open license file in Notepad, remove unwanted licenses from the file and restart license manager.

Martin Hanák

Additional note ... AFAIK if you own permanent licenses without active support, you can use them without any restrictions.

Martin Hanák
Top Tags