cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about the Community Ranking System, a fun gamification element of the PTC Community. X

Ultimate Creo Parametric Workstation 2023/2024

M_C_Anderson
9-Granite

Ultimate Creo Parametric Workstation 2023/2024

As a thought experiment, what would the ultimate Creo Parametric machine look like?

I don't mean what would be a good, optimized, practical laptop or desktop PC. I mean what no compromise, unlimited budget, high-end workstation would crush anything Creo Parametric could do?

In the list below, I'm basically just picking the fastest things I know about, but are there any actual numbers out there? Would a sufficiently high end Xeon or Threadripper surpass the 14th gen i9? Would a 4090 overtake the A6000 despite being a "productivity" workload? Would a Xeon or Threadripper, despite have slower single core performance, be worth it for the increased max memory (2TB vs 192 GB) when opening extremely large top level assemblies (>15,000 unique parts, >1,000,000 instances)? 

• CPU: Intel Core i9-14900K (6.0 GHz Turbo on 8 P-cores, 4786 MOps/sec single thread perf)
  • GPU: NVIDIA RTX A6000 (48 GB GDDR6 w/ ECC)
  • RAM: 192 GB DDR5 5600 MT/s ECC
  • SSD: PCIe Gen5 M.2 NVMe, >10,000 MB/s read/write

I would love to hear what the community's "dream build" would be, or better yet, what insane workstations you may have actually built and can talk about.

8 REPLIES 8

Designing the "ultimate" Creo Parametric workstation for 2023/2024, especially one with no budget constraints and aiming for peak performance, involves considering several key components. Here are some things to consider…

CPU
- **High-End Option:** Intel Core i9-14900K is a strong choice for its high single-thread performance, crucial for CAD software like Creo Parametric.
- **Alternative:** High-end Xeon or AMD Ryzen Threadripper might offer advantages in multi-threaded tasks and larger memory support. This could be beneficial for handling extremely large assemblies with over 15,000 unique parts and 1,000,000 instances, as the increased memory support (up to 2TB) can significantly improve performance in these scenarios.

GPU
- **Primary Choice:** NVIDIA RTX A6000 with 48 GB GDDR6 and ECC. It's a professional-grade card designed for workstations, offering reliability and performance in 3D rendering and computational tasks.
- **Alternative:** NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090, although primarily aimed at gaming, can still offer superior performance in some scenarios. However, the A6000's ECC memory is a significant advantage for professional workloads, ensuring data integrity.

RAM
- **Maximum Capacity:** For the ultimate build, consider maximizing the RAM beyond 192 GB, especially if the chosen CPU supports it. ECC (Error-Correcting Code) memory is preferred for its ability to prevent data corruption.

Storage
- **Primary Storage:** PCIe Gen5 M.2 NVMe SSDs, offering read/write speeds over 10,000 MB/s, will significantly enhance data transfer rates, improving overall system responsiveness and reducing load times for large files.

Additional Considerations
1. **Cooling System:** A high-end liquid cooling system to maintain optimal temperatures under heavy loads.
2. **Power Supply:** A robust power supply unit (PSU) to support these high-end components reliably.
3. **Motherboard:** A motherboard that supports all these components, including sufficient PCIe lanes, RAM slots, and M.2 slots.
4. **Chassis:** A spacious, well-ventilated chassis to accommodate these components and ensure good airflow.

Real-World Usage Insights

- It would be invaluable to hear from the community about their experiences with high-end workstations in actual Creo Parametric usage scenarios.
- Specific use-cases, like handling large assemblies or complex rendering tasks, can provide insights into which components offer the most tangible performance benefits.

- Many parts of the application and not multithreaded

- There is a big shift to move towards Voxel based simulations. Which will require lots of GPU power

The ultimate Creo Parametric workstation should balance between high single-thread performance (for CAD operations) and multi-thread capabilities (for simulations and rendering).
- High memory capacity and fast storage are crucial for handling large datasets.
- Real-world usage data from similarly specced systems would offer invaluable insights into the practicality and performance gains of such a setup.

Michael P Bourque
Boston Regional User Group

Why did you regurgitate my question and choices with an AI generated response?

I’m doing my own research and training an AI model on all things Creo related. I edited it down and read it and felt it would be helpful. Sorry. If you’re interested in giving it a test it’s quite possible. I liked your question and want a dream system too. I have the rtx4090 and i9 5.7ghz I over clock. Works very good. But it’s more gaming oriented. 

peace. 

Michael P Bourque
Boston Regional User Group
Chris3
20-Turquoise
(To:M_C_Anderson)

We recently bought a custom machine. Below are the specs.

• CPU – 13900KF 5.8GHz - we didn't want the small risk associated with a water cooled system
  • RAM - 64GB DDR5 (type and speed are important)
  • Video - Quardo RTX A4000
  • HD - PCI-e SSD 3500 MB/s write speed

This replaced a 8 core Xeon 3.7 Ghz machine with 32Gb ram. 

We did before and after performance testing and on average tasks on the new machine took 46% if the time that the old machine took. Creo is largely a single thread program. The most important thing is to get the fastest single thread processor that you can buy.

More benchmarks are here:

https://creosite.com/index.php/ocus-benchmark/ocus-benchmark-v7-result-table/ 

mwa
14-Alexandrite
14-Alexandrite
(To:Chris3)

You use this system now for a few months. Can you share some experience?

1. Does the CPU meet its high performance or is it throttled due to cooling limits of the chassis/housing of the workstation?

2. Samen question for the GPU

3. Which brand  (HP, Dell, Lenovo) and type workstation are you using ?

4. Does the workstation make noise?

5. How is the cooling arranged? 

mwa
14-Alexandrite
14-Alexandrite
(To:mwa)

6. Are the CPU and/or GPU over Clocked?

7. Do you also use this system for FEM analyses?  What is the experience? 

mwa
14-Alexandrite
14-Alexandrite
(To:Chris3)

6. Are the CPU and/or GPU over Clocked?

7. Do you also use this system for FEM analyses?  What is the experience

mwa
14-Alexandrite
14-Alexandrite
(To:M_C_Anderson)

Do you have experience with the ICore 9 14900 CPU? 

a) What motherboard is used ?

b) Which chipset is used?

c) Do you have ECC memory ?

d) how is the stability of the system and of Creo?

e) Is it silent?

Overall: What is your impressium about the performance wit the Icore 9 14900 processor, 

Is it as stable as a Xeon processor? 

Top Tags