cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about the Community Ranking System, a fun gamification element of the PTC Community. X

How to: Dashboard containing multiples of the same gadget but different data

JO_9930585
10-Marble

How to: Dashboard containing multiples of the same gadget but different data

If I have a gadget that has notes, how can I have a dashboard that contains three of these gadgets but displays different notes? Or, if someone enters a note, when an auto-refresh happens, how can this note stick to this gadget?

We have multiple use cases similar to this and I am wondering if this is even possible. For example we have an instance where we want the user to upload an image and display it via a gadget on a dashboard. However, we want to be able to do this multiple times and have it stick on refresh.

It is my understanding that..

1) Gadgets within a dashboard cannot interact with one another.
2) Dashboards cannot send parameters to a gadget.
3) Gadgets do not have a unique ID to tie specific data to.

So, I think this is not possible and only predefined data can be displayed on a gadget?

7 REPLIES 7
PaiChung
22-Sapphire I
(To:JO_9930585)

I believe Gadgets will lock in the assigned mashup parameter value when adding the Gadget to a Dashboard.

So you would want to create a construct where that happens.

Let's say the image, I don't remember if that is an available type for a mashup parameter, but if not, you can use an associated id or name.

Then within the gadget use the mashup parameter either directly to assign as a value or use it into a server to bring in the image.

I don't think this is what I am asking. So, let's do a simple example. Is this possible? and if so, how?

1) Create a simple gadget that holds notes.

2) Place 3 of these in a dashboards

3) Have users input notes in each gadget

4) refresh the page or navigate away and back

5) Each note is still in each respective gadget

If that is possible, please explain how I would do this. And if it is possible, keep in mind this is the simplest form of this example. We would also need a user to be able to edit any of these notes and have the latest edits appear on reload. 

PaiChung
22-Sapphire I

The trick is still the mashup parameter, you can assign an id per gadget as it is added through the mashup parameter and then store the content typed in and associate it with that id. Then the next time you load, use that id to get the correct information.

But how does the dashboard send that data to the gadget? And does the ID stay the same for multiples of the same gadget? If so, that will not work.

PaiChung
22-Sapphire I

In the Gadget (since it is basically a mashup) use the ID value of the mashup parameter and run that as a parameter into the service that retrieves the information. Unique ID will retrieve unique information.

As I mentioned before, when a Gadget is added to a a Dashboard, make sure you have a mashup parameter value (id) assigned, because that is what is locked in.

If I assign a mashup parameter ID to a gadget, the same ID will exist if I have 3 gadgets in a dashboard. Therefore, the data for those three gadgets would be the same, which is NOT what I would want. I want the same gadget 3 times but with different varying data.

So with the solution you provided are you saying this scenario is 100% possible? 3 gadgets with dynamic data a user can set at any time that has the data stick for the latest input on any given gadget(on refresh). I do not think this is possible.

slangley
23-Emerald II

Hi @JO_9930585.

This may be too complex for the community, but perhaps if you provide an example, we would have a better understanding of your use case and can provide some recommendations.

If you prefer not to provide that in the community, I would recommend contacting your Partner rep for available consulting services.

Regards.

--Sharon

Top Tags