cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - When posting, your subject should be specific and summarize your question. Here are some additional tips on asking a great question. X

Are Views of WTPart mandatory (Design/Manufacturing) or could it stay empty?

lmouchard
10-Marble

Are Views of WTPart mandatory (Design/Manufacturing) or could it stay empty?

Hi,

I believe views of WTPart, "Design" for example, are mandatory information for consistent data in Windchill, but one collegue explained he show some installations that do not use those view. Until now, I though a part without view would be "corrupted data", imported thanks a spreadsheet. 

Are the view "Design/Manufacturing/etc." simply a recommanded practice of PTC ? What would be the drawback of configuring per default no view on the WTPart (when no MPMLink is used)?

I really interesseted in your opinions!

3 REPLIES 3

Hello @lmouchard 

In my company we also don't use the Manufacturing view. My key users also asked me to remove it but it's not a good idea because maybe in the future we will decide to manage the preparation of the Manufacturing in the PLM, the "As Planned" step. So we hide it in the Create and Edit Layouts but we didn't remove it.

Last remark: View is a feature of PDMLink, not MPMLink. You can create Manufacturing Parts and MBOM in PDMLink but with some limitations because there is no equivalent link.

BR,

Pascal

Hello Pascal,

thanks for sharing your experience.

It seams to be a default config kept just in case, but I do not really see any added value.  Please, do not see any offense, the provocative critique targets PTC).

Could someone from PTC maybe advocates the benefit of using views?

More generally, I knew views from the exchange of data with the STEP format (especially the PDM Schema = a version of item (part/product) can have different view), but  PTC implemented it quite differently...

https://www.prostep.org/fileadmin/downloads/ProSTEP-iViP_Implementation-Guideline_PDM-Schema_4.3.pdf

By the way, is there no utility for reassigning the views as a bulk operation?

Hello @lmouchard 

If you don't manage the "As Planned" step of your product development process in Windchill, i understand you don't need the View attribute. But,  technically speaking, i advise you to keep it or hide it because may be in the future you will need it. As you said, View is not an invention of PTC but comes from STEP an international standard format to exchange product data.

ReassignSingleViewCleanser command line reassign Views in mass: https://www.ptc.com/en/support/article/CS108876

BR,

Pascal

Top Tags