cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

Change name Server Address

MS_Santos
13-Aquamarine

Change name Server Address

Hello

Would you have to change this name of the Windchill server? or do I need to change the server again? for the little that he took the name of the server I put.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:MS_Santos)

Edit:

You don't need to rehost or use a reverse proxy if you want to access the Windchill server from a different domain name / URL.  In that case you just have to change the wt.server.codebase property.

Article - CS178849 - How to make Windchill use a DNS alias when generating URLs in Windchill (ptc.com)

You will need to go through a rehost process if you need to change the actual physical server name for some reason.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Hi @MS_Santos 

You need to follow rehosting process.

Here is a article for Rehosting utility how to change server name - you should follow the rename scenario 

CS162685

Here is a knowledge hub with others articles describe the rehosting

CS357522?

PetrH

@HelesicPetr , great post. Some addition things I've picked up along the way:

• Never use hostname of server as web address. I always pick a friendly name and does not interfere with IT naming conventions for hosts.
  • Choose a very generic internal hostname for installs. Alter to users using reverse proxy server. This allows you to changes names if company name changes (I've been through a few) and makes cloning for new environments a snap. Only need to change name in a few places. It also has the advantage of decoupling old LDAP branches from hostname (not in IE conf files). 
  • Make sure your installs cannot see or talk to each other (prevent cross talk between different installs). This can be done in HOSTS file.
MS_Santos
13-Aquamarine
(To:avillanueva)

Hello

But how do I change this now? before I was using outside domain, And setting HOSTS file for machines to access this, has easier way to change this name or better change server name?

jbailey
17-Peridot

I also recommend @avillanueva's suggestion of a proxy in front with a friendly name. The article referenced shows how to set up Windchill behind a proxy. The property you are looking for is wt.server.codebase

xconfmanager -s wt.server.codebase="$(wt.webserver.protocol)://<<YOUR FRIENDLY HOST>>:$(wt.webserver.port)/$(wt.webapp.name)" -t codebase/wt.properties -p

https://www.ptc.com/en/support/article/CS68466?source=search

TomU
23-Emerald IV

Edit:

You don't need to rehost or use a reverse proxy if you want to access the Windchill server from a different domain name / URL.  In that case you just have to change the wt.server.codebase property.

Article - CS178849 - How to make Windchill use a DNS alias when generating URLs in Windchill (ptc.com)

You will need to go through a rehost process if you need to change the actual physical server name for some reason.

Top Tags