cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about the Community Ranking System, a fun gamification element of the PTC Community. X

Manage permissions of resulting objects as the Change Activity moves through the workflow

mwaite
10-Marble

Manage permissions of resulting objects as the Change Activity moves through the workflow

Team,

I have a very secure Windchill product.  The general population can only Read and Download one revision of any object. 

We accomplish this by setting up a "Public" folder where the general population has read and download.  

We also set up a "Private" folder with a custom domain and only the Product Managers have access.

When a new revision gets "Released", the Product Manager moves the old revision out of the Public folder and puts it back in Private, The Product Manager also moves the new revision from Private to Public.  While this is labor intensive, it works exactly as desired.  We do this because we have problems with users building to the wrong revision.

In the case of a CN Task, nobody except Product Manager can see the new revision.  The new revision is still "In Work" or "Under Review" and it's hidden in the private folder.

I'm looking for a way to have the Change Activity workflow extend Read and Download permissions for the Resulting Objects to the Reviewer Role, but only when the Review step is being worked.  They can't see the resulting parts or documents unless they are reviewing them.

The LifeCycle template for the Change Activity can change permissions on the Change Activity, but not the Resulting Objects.  I thought about putting robots in the workflow to add Ad-Hoc permissions to the resulting objects just before the review step and another robot to remove the Ad-Hoc permissions just after the review step.

Has anyone done anything like this?  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

1 REPLY 1
MikeLockwood
22-Sapphire I
(To:mwaite)

Seems like it might be worth revisiting and analyzing the cause of "We do this because we have problems with users building to the wrong revision."

Every single PLM system in the world (Windchill or other) needs to be somehow set up and used such that users access and utilize the correct version of all data (for the current purpose).

You may get this workaround really humming, but it may be more productive in the long term to analyze how / when / where / why users could use the wrong versions of data and instead make this more robust.

A few things related:

- As-stored vs. Latest setting (default is As Stored)

- Use of published data (which as As-Stored)

- Watermarking of drawings and requirements that only system-watermarked drawings can be used

- Use of published STEP / IGES 3D models, with the version of the 3D model in the output filename (e.g. 12345_A.2.stp)

Top Tags