cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you know you can set a signature that will be added to all your posts? Set it here! X

Partslink- Attribute Data Types and Node structure

mgonzo52
5-Regular Member

Partslink- Attribute Data Types and Node structure

Hi Everyone. I Would love to hear any and all feedback regarding two current hangups on my Attribute and Node layout. First the problems:

1. The Organization would like to give "Parts Link Administration" power to a subset of librarians. This Librarian would be responsible for entering parameters specific to geometry ie: length, size, threads etc... To facilitate this, a "Real Number" Data Type will be used.

Personally I would use a "String" and Legal value list. This list will hold specific values that can then be managed. Question: At your organizations, which direction did you go or how did you handle this?

2. Node structure and layout. How are you handling IN and MM parts? Do you create separate nodes at each level or did you create this delineation at the top level? (see image for node specific example)

thanks for any ideas or input you might have. Maybe I am over thinking this, but I don't want to back myself into a corner. thanks!

Mathew

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
avillanueva
22-Sapphire I
(To:mgonzo52)

https://support.ptc.com/help/wnc/r12.0.2.0/en/#page/Windchill_Help_Center%2FTypeMgrUnitStringsSupported.html%23

What I mean is that if my normal measurement system is USCS, a length attribute would expect what I enter is inches (in)

avillanueva_0-1683142442959.png

But I can enter in any units I want. The only thing I need to do is add in the unit text suffix. In this case I am entering 200 mm.

avillanueva_1-1683142578579.png

Windchill will convert that to SI internally and display back in my measurement system:

avillanueva_2-1683142647146.png

I think this is that issue that @joe_morton was referring to. 

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

I haven't used Partslink specifically, but I have used Real Number with Units. 

Pros: You can relate these attributes to CAD so that the value drives a dimension.

Cons: You cannot limit the trailing zeros displayed in Windchill (!!!) See https://www.ptc.com/en/support/article/CS36590?source=search

joe_morton_0-1682969167279.png

Again, this is on a subtype of a Part that we made, not specifically Partslink. 

mgonzo52
5-Regular Member
(To:joe_morton)

Thanks Joe! Real Number w/ Units is another data type we discussed.This parameter type can be definitely used on metric nodes. What do you do for Inch parts? 

Mapping attributes from CAD would be idea. This mapping would make it easy for things like material. But this functionality isn't available directly on the node structure: CS48341

avillanueva
22-Sapphire I

I used a mix of real number with units and String/legal list. If you want to take advantage of ranges, you'll need real number to get the slider. As for IN vs MM, note that the system will convert units based on user's preferences. You can also define the node that you want to override and prefer certain units for an attribute.  We anguished over each attribute but it picked up speed once we got going. Things like length might make sense a string but you will have an ever increasing list as more parts get added. I recommend keep as real number with units. 

avillanueva_0-1682970404458.png

mgonzo52
5-Regular Member
(To:avillanueva)

This is great. Thank you. Yes, we have been talking about this for weeks. I created a global Enumeration for thread size. Just like you have done:

mgonzo52_0-1682971065134.png

When you say, "you can also define the node that you want to override and prefer certain units for an attribute", do you mind showing me how you did this? I thought this was a user or site preference and not inside the node. If that's the case, then Real Number w/ Units might be the winner for some of these attributes.

Did you split IN and Metric at the node level?

thanks!  Mathew

avillanueva
22-Sapphire I

Forgive me if I misspoke. I do not have both metric and english cases. when you defined the reusable attribute, you can override units there. It was not at the node level. Users can enter data in any unit they want if they specify the unit suffixes. it will convert properly. all values stored in SI units. Highly recommend you do all of this on a test server before replicating to Prod. 

mgonzo52
5-Regular Member

When you say, " if they specify the unit suffixes", what do you mean? How are they specifying?

Example, I created a new Reusable "Real Number/Units" attribute called Testing. Added the attribute to my node, and it auto-defaults to mm:

mgonzo52_0-1682972618677.png

How is the user specifying? Is there a "constraint" I am missing here?

Mathew

mgonzo52
5-Regular Member

Any further info on how your users are specifying?

thanks,

Mathew

avillanueva
22-Sapphire I

https://support.ptc.com/help/wnc/r12.0.2.0/en/#page/Windchill_Help_Center%2FTypeMgrUnitStringsSupported.html%23

What I mean is that if my normal measurement system is USCS, a length attribute would expect what I enter is inches (in)

avillanueva_0-1683142442959.png

But I can enter in any units I want. The only thing I need to do is add in the unit text suffix. In this case I am entering 200 mm.

avillanueva_1-1683142578579.png

Windchill will convert that to SI internally and display back in my measurement system:

avillanueva_2-1683142647146.png

I think this is that issue that @joe_morton was referring to. 

mgonzo52
5-Regular Member

Many thanks!

Mathew

Top Tags