cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get an answer that solved your problem? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution so others with the same problem can find the answer easily. X

Unique parts related to specific assembly - Identification of obsolete parts

RUK1
6-Contributor

Unique parts related to specific assembly - Identification of obsolete parts

Hello all, 

For last hour and a half I´ve been searching here on forum and on uncle Google, but didn´t manage to find anything helpful, therefore I would like to ask you, the guru´s for your help.

In general, I´m trying to find a simplest way (report, advanced search, or other) to identify unique objects used only in that assembly in order to mark them obsolete.

To explain a bit more, we are creating assemblies from various parts, that can be shared between assemblies (like brackets for example), however I want to be able to identify a list of objects only used in that specific assembly (for example parts unique to aprt number 201000). 

*If I will be able to generate list of unique objects for specific assembly, then I can export all unique objects to that assembly, enter another assembly number, export list and remove duplicates to get a list of completely unique parts not related to any other product.*

Do you have any idea, if that is possible or have you any suggestion how it can be done? 

Thank you very much in advance. 

3 REPLIES 3
Hari_Vara
13-Aquamarine
(To:RUK1)

Hi,

You should leverage "Where Used" functionality.

What I understand is that you want to narrow down to parts that are exclusive (used only in ) to that assembly. Correct?

So, you should create a Report where, it cycles through all the sub parts (Lets go in Level 1 deep) of that assembly, The report should report the "Where Used" of the 1st level child parts. From this report please add logic saying that "count of Where Used" is only 1. (The one is the Parent Assembly in question).

It becomes complicated with multiple Revisions, as this is a obsolescence scenario, fix on a logic on say for example "Lastest Released Revision". Then this will eliminate multiple Revisions and multiple "WHere Used" in the report.

Basically, look at the Reporting and Where Used inside that.

Good help is available on Reports in Windchill.

Cheers

Hari

d_graham
17-Peridot

@RUK1 

Do you need to recursively (multi-level) check the assembly number you enter or are you concerned with just the top-level?

For example, if a sub assembly contains a part that is used only by that subassembly but the subassembly is found (recursively) in more that one top-level assembly then the part is considered to be used in more than one assembly. True or false?

aaronjlarson
12-Amethyst

I'm still not sure I understand your question.  Let me rephrase with another example.  

You have the following assembly structures:

• ASM1234
    • PRT0001
    • PRT0002
    • PRT0003
  • ASM9876
    • PRT0001
    • PRT0002
    • PRT0004

So you would want the report to return PRT0004 and PRT0003 because they each have only 1 'Where Used'?

If that's the use case I would perhaps look at creating a report that sets a Criteria using Count database function to count the number of 'Where Used'  and that result must be equal to 1.  I think that would work - have never tried something like that but sounds like what you're after.

Top Tags