cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - New to the community? Learn how to post a question and get help from PTC and industry experts! X

Using PLM to inform production they can start work

CJ_10207791
3-Visitor

Using PLM to inform production they can start work

We need to urgently find an alternative for creating Design Office Issue Sheets (DOI’s).

Our current DOI system is an online database and we would like to see if we can incorporate the functionality within PLM.

We use DOI’s to request production to carry out testing, inspections, repairs and manufacture.

When we release our assemblies within PLM, production don’t start manufacture until we create a DOI.

The DOI requires the Below Data

Serial number* start from MLS0010000 (Auto populated from PLM)

Issue Date (Auto populated from PLM)

Raised by (Auto populated from PLM)

Project name*

Booking Code*

Details (comments)*

Part Number

Revision** (Auto populated from PLM)

Description of part**(Auto populated from PLM)

Folder number**

Total qty**

Where used**

Notes

Mandatory fields*

Mandatory fields if part number populated**

Note we may have several lines for part numbers, so those mandatory fields would be for each part number line.

I have attached our current DOI, note not all of the data on it is the same as above as we are looking to improve it.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

You could make a document subtype in Windchill for it. The attributes in the header of your current document could easily be attributes on the Windchill document type. You'd be able to set constraints on those attributes. What gets difficult is the table in your current form. I don't know a good way to have a table like that as Windchill attributes.

One method to address the table would be to have a form submitted for every part number. Then, all the values could be attributes directly on the document subtype and you could apply constraints and workflow logic to control it. I'm assuming that wouldn't be acceptable though.

Another method would be to use a document template as the primary content that the submitter could then fill out. So the submitter would create the document, fill in the Windchill attributes (with the constraints), then download the template, fill in the table, then upload the completed document to Windchill. 

For either method, once completed, the submitter would route the document through a workflow so it would get reviewed, approved, and implemented as appropriate. 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

You could make a document subtype in Windchill for it. The attributes in the header of your current document could easily be attributes on the Windchill document type. You'd be able to set constraints on those attributes. What gets difficult is the table in your current form. I don't know a good way to have a table like that as Windchill attributes.

One method to address the table would be to have a form submitted for every part number. Then, all the values could be attributes directly on the document subtype and you could apply constraints and workflow logic to control it. I'm assuming that wouldn't be acceptable though.

Another method would be to use a document template as the primary content that the submitter could then fill out. So the submitter would create the document, fill in the Windchill attributes (with the constraints), then download the template, fill in the table, then upload the completed document to Windchill. 

For either method, once completed, the submitter would route the document through a workflow so it would get reviewed, approved, and implemented as appropriate. 

What you need maybe an MES (MFG Execution System) but assuming you have an ERP System with Production Orders for triggering manufacturing work. MES sits in between PLM and ERP and manages the documentation and execution of procedures. Those can be testing, inspections, repairs and manufacture procedures against a part number or serial number. Typically, there would be a corresponding activity in ERP but the content of the procedure ( BOM, images, visualization) come from PLM. 

I read the replies from Joe and Tony.

I have an idea and you could tell me what you think.

You could make a sub-type of object (could even be a change object sub-type) that is linked to your Part.

Upon creation all mandatory fields whose values are derived from the Part could automatically populate the attributes’ value including where used and Qty.

As Joe mentioned, a workflow could be used to send out email notifications at the appropriate time. A listener could be used to do this as well, but workflow is a bit more OOTB.

Anyway, the important thing is to link the Part to the DOI business object in Windchill. Once that’s done automatically filling in attribute values is SOP.

Top Tags