cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Help us improve the PTC Community by taking this short Community Survey! X

Can we view a project tree view or project hierarchy view for WF&D projects?

sdeshpande
1-Newbie

Can we view a project tree view or project hierarchy view for WF&D projects?

Our users are keen on being able to view the underlying project hierarchy of projects and subprojects in Integrity. I am referring to Workflow and Document projects, and not Configuration management projects.

For example:

/Project A contains /ProjectA1 which contains /ProjectA1.1 and /ProjectA1.2

Is there a view that allows a user to see all the projects in a similar manner, where expanding the higher level parent projects shows the children they contain?

I know this exists on the CM side, but I have not been able to find anything for Workflows & Documents projects.

The relationship view of a project does not show it's parents and/or children, and I've tried to include every possible relationship field in the view to see if that made any difference.

So the question is whether such a view exists. If it does, how do we access it?

Thanks,

Sourabh

3 REPLIES 3
KaelLizak
14-Alexandrite
(To:sdeshpande)

Hello Sourabh Deshpande‌,

I'm not sure I understand the question, but I'll try to answer what I think you're asking.

In general, the command im projects will list all the projects on the server visible to the user.  A GUI interface can be launched by running im projects -g

Child projects are always listed with the names of the ancestor project(s) prefixed, separated by a slash.  E.g. /KLT/Test1/Alpha.  I've never seen a situation where only the child project name is listed (e.g. Alpha).  If you have such an example, I'd be curious to see it.

Please let me know if you need more information.

Regards,
Kael

Kind Regards,
Kael Lizak

Senior Technical Support Engineer
PTC Integrity Lifecycle Manager

Yeah looks like I didn't explain well enough.

You're right, it does always show the ancestor project(s), but that's not what I'm looking for.

The users would like to see a "Tree view" with the highest project, say Project A at the top.

Expanding this should show all projects that Project A is a parent of, say Project A1, A2, A3.

Each of those may have it's own subprojects, so expanding any of those should show their children.

I believe such a tree/hierarchy view exists on the Configuration management projects, but no easy solution for this on the Workflows & Documents projects.

I can get a list of all projects and the ITEMS they contain (ie. documents, test artifacts) in a tree view, but I cannot actually get a tree view of the projects themselves.

project.PNG

Something like this, where once I expand any of those, instead of showing the related items, it shows the child (sub) projects of  that parent.

I've tried including all relationship fields in the change nodes filter but no relationship brings up the child sub-projects of a project in this view.

Is there another way to do this, or any specific relationship that can accomplish this in the Tree View?

KaelLizak
14-Alexandrite
(To:sdeshpande)

Ah!  Thanks for clarifying!

As far as I'm aware, you're right: there's nothing that displays the tree structure.  The Projects field only displays a drop-down of all of the projects visible to the active user within the client or the web interface.  This feature has been previously requested and is identified as RFC 117198.  To add your organization to that request, please contact PTC Integrity Support, and reference this thread.

The only workaround I can conceive of isn't really a workaround so much as a complete custom interface that renders projects on its own, using the API, so I unfortunately am not aware of a useful way to work around this issue for you.

Regards,
Kael

Kind Regards,
Kael Lizak

Senior Technical Support Engineer
PTC Integrity Lifecycle Manager
Top Tags