cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can subscribe to a forum, label or individual post and receive email notifications when someone posts a new topic or reply. Learn more! X

Adding site admin to an organization

VH_10947268
5-Regular Member

Adding site admin to an organization

I am a site administrator, and when I try to edit my profile and add myself to an organization the 'find' is greyed out. I am trying to create a product, but I am not a part of the organization, or an organization administrator so I am unable to create a product. I know I read somewhere also where you can set a setting to anyone can be a creator, so if someone knows where that is that would also be helpful. Windchill 12.1.2.0

10 REPLIES 10
BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:VH_10947268)

Browse - Organization - Administrators -  Add Users

I am only on 12.0.2 so don't know yet if 12.1.2 changes anything. Doing the install now.

VH_10947268
5-Regular Member
(To:BenLoosli)

So when I do that, for some reason I am unable to find myself to add to Org Admins. In order to add myself as an Org Admin, I have to go to the groups and add myself from there. But still, I am unable to find myself when I try to add myself as a creator

You should create a product as org admin.

VH_10947268
5-Regular Member
(To:STEVEG)

So I am apparently an org admin, and the owner of the org. When I go to the products page it says I am not a member of any product, and I am not able to create a product.

Are you in the ORG ADMIN group at the site level?

VH_10947268
5-Regular Member
(To:STEVEG)

How would I check that or do that? Sorry for maybe stupid questions, fresh install with pretty much nothing on it, and I have never used Windchill before.

VH_10947268
5-Regular Member

I just go to Browse - Organization - Administrators and then I am in that list. I can also go to Browse - Site - Administrators and I am also on that list. Not sure if this means that I am an org admin at the site level.

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

New to Windchill and being an admin is not good!

Talk your company into at least Business Admin training and then System Admin training!

VH_10947268
5-Regular Member
(To:BenLoosli)

Our Windchill application is going to be used on a very small scale with a relatively small team. Additionally, we are using Windchill for a very small portion of its capabilities. We just want to be able to store and pull files that are related to certain products, and be able to track the revision history and things like that. Personally, I think a complex system like Windchill is overkill for doing something like that, but I am not the one in charge haha... I would agree that I would need some sort of formal training, but we got Windchill installed and it is up to me to figure out how to use it for the needs I mentioned. So yeah, trying to crawl through to get to that point with using the REST API, and reading through the very complex documentation is where I am at... 😰

This has been a major confusion for 20 years - and to my knowledge never really documented by PTC.

wcadmin has to have an email address (can be anything with the correct format, like a.b@c.com).  This along with being added to the organization allows wcadmin to Create Products, etc.  Have to do this for every new install.

Top Tags