cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

Allow users to Create their own folders

Lohbauer
1-Newbie

Allow users to Create their own folders

Good Afternoon all,

This is a non-specific question, more of a poll, to see how much freedom admins in this group allow their users to create their own folders, if at all.

We don't allow any user access to create foldersanywhere in PDMLink. I have some power users pushing back and I'm curious what current practices are out there.

In ProjectLink the Project Managers have full control so of course they can.

Any input from this estimable groupwould be welcome. Thanks,

Bob Lohbauer

Jacobs Vehicle Systems

7 REPLIES 7

I would never let users create folders.

I considered it one time in the past. The user that was interested then came to convince me and laid out his plan for this ridiculous folder structure in each product context. I'm talking dozens of folders up to 5 or 6 levels deep in each context. Since that time, every user that has come to me asking always has basically the same idea in their head. Namely, "We'll set up a folder structure just like we have on our network drive. It will be awesome." My guess is they don't realize what the Search function is for and how it really doesn't care where stuff is located.

There is some need for a folder structure in library situations where common-off-the-shelf items are stored and retrieved during the creation of assembly models. Even that is still something I wouldn't let a user do.

In Reply to Bob Lohbauer:

Good Afternoon all,

This is a non-specific question, more of a poll, to see how much freedom admins in this group allow their users to create their own folders, if at all.

We don't allow any user access to create foldersanywhere in PDMLink. I have some power users pushing back and I'm curious what current practices are out there.

In ProjectLink the Project Managers have full control so of course they can.

Any input from this estimable groupwould be welcome. Thanks,

Bob Lohbauer

Jacobs Vehicle Systems

Bob,

As a compromise, we have created a role for this. The only permission that the Folder Creator role has is to create folders. That way we can add a limited number of people or groups to the role.

Of course you could always end up with a mess that an admin has to clean up...

-marc

RandyJones
19-Tanzanite
(To:Lohbauer)

On 08/27/13 12:27, Bob Lohbauer wrote:
>
> Good Afternoon all,
>
> This is a non-specific question, more of a poll, to see how much freedom admins in this group allow their users to create their own folders, if at all.
>

Our setup is such that if the user has permissions to check in an object to a particular context then they also have the ability to create folders in that context.

> We don't allow any user access to create folders anywhere in PDMLink. I have some power users pushing back and I'm curious what current practices are out there.
>
> In ProjectLink the Project Managers have full control so of course they can.
>
> Any input from this estimable group would be welcome. Thanks,
>
> Bob Lohbauer
>
> Windchill Administrator
>
> Jacobs Vehicle Systems
>
>
> -----End Original Message-----

--
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Randy Jones
Systems Administrator
Great Plains Mfg., Inc.
1525 E North St
PO Box 5060
Salina, KS USA 67401
email: -
Phone: 785-823-3276
Fax: 785-667-2695
------------------------------------------------------------------------

bellj
1-Newbie
(To:Lohbauer)

This is my approach as well.

joe bell
Application Administrator

I do not recommend it for large sites or those concerned with security of
the data held within. Overall, I think folders should be requested.

We restrict the right to create folders to the admins, the 'Change Managers' and the Porject Leads. Otherwise we would have a folder structure like Don describes his user wanting. So far, our folder structure is pretty clean.

We do allow users to create folders, but we don’t grant permissions
at the folder, they are all at the context.

-----

Lewis

In Reply to David DeMay:

I do not recommend it for large sites or those concerned with security of
the data held within. Overall, I think folders should be requested.

Top Tags