cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Stay updated on what is happening on the PTC Community by subscribing to PTC Community Announcements. X

CAD Worker Fails to Start, no worker.log

ErikZabokrtsky
8-Gravel

CAD Worker Fails to Start, no worker.log

I have one CAD worker running a machine separate to the Windchill server and have had no issues with it. I wanted to create another temporary one, also on a separate machine, to run for a while as we are putting a lot of new files onto the server that need representations created. I cannot figure out what is causing my issue of Fails to Start.

I have gone through multiple times and checked that everything is setup the same on the temp worker as it is on the production worker. I even removed the production worker and tried just the temp, to see if there was a conflict between them. Temp still threw the error so I recreated the production worker in "Worker Agent Administration" and it connected perfectly and started working on jobs right away.

Every post I have found keeps pointing back to looking at logs on the worker machine, but there are none being created. Where else are there logs on the server that possibly could point to what I have wrong? Permission wise, I have Everyone with Full Control to the "Creoview_Temp" shared folder for jobs to be transferred to.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Make sure you did this on your temp cad worker:

https://support.ptc.com/help/creo/view/r7.0/en/index.html#page/creo_view/adapter_install_config_guide/Introduction_Installation/Worker_Daemon_2.html

it should be running automatic. This is what the CAD Agent on the Windchill side communicates with to start up the CAD worker. Port 601 is the default.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

If no logs are being generated, its not being triggered to run. You can manually start the worker by clicking on the batch file from the worker end. That can verify in the CAD Agent that the back end is working allowing you to verify part of the execution chain. I wonder if you need to adjust the wvs.properties and edit the worker.exe.whitelist.prefixes property. Perhaps you did not allow the new folder location to be executed.

When I look in the wvs.properties file, I don't see anything specifying a certain machine name as allowed the property you mentioned is set to "worker.exe.whitelist.prefixes=C\:". 

The production worker is "eng-vis-worker" and the temp is "eng-vis-temp2", but beyond that the file path is identical.

That prefix just means that you executable must exist on c:\. I see that you are on different machine.  Did you configure the worker daemon service to listen on the port defined in the agent administration? Started? Sry for basic question.  How about manually starting cad worker from the cad worker machine? Did the agent see it come online?

If I manually start the worker then the server sees it and if I click on Start Worker, then it comes online and shows Available. However, it is never given a job, it just sits there as Available as the other worker processes jobs.

I left the port number as the default port 601.

Ok, getting closer. Things to check:

• Typo in agent setup of temp CAD worker
  • Firewall blocks on temp cad worker
  • Service for worker daemon not running

For not issuing jobs, assuming there was a long list of jobs to process, the cad agent works via checking each worker and if busy moving on to other ones. I have 3 workers, and worker 1 has way more jobs processed then the lower ones. Its trails off like a pareto so adding 100 workers makes no sense. Make sure you also increase your publishing queues to process more jobs at same time. What ratio do you have now?

Not sure why it never crossed my mind, but we only had the PublisherQueue1 so I have increased that to 4 now and the temp worker is processing jobs. 

Firewalls are all off, I have probably double quadruple checked spelling and syntaxes now for the worker agent setup and see nothing off. With it processing jobs now, I would assume everything setup wise is 99% correct but it won't auto-start from the server. For the worker daemon, what does that show up as on the agent? I have looked through Services and see nothing about a worker... Sorry for low level questions, the visual worker isn't something I have really ever changed on our setup.

Make sure you did this on your temp cad worker:

https://support.ptc.com/help/creo/view/r7.0/en/index.html#page/creo_view/adapter_install_config_guide/Introduction_Installation/Worker_Daemon_2.html

it should be running automatic. This is what the CAD Agent on the Windchill side communicates with to start up the CAD worker. Port 601 is the default.

OK, so I ran that command and still couldn't find "GS Worker Daemon" so I restarted the computer, went back into services, and still nothing. Start just browsing through services and come across "PTC Worker Daemon" that was stopped... Started it and the server connected right away. Why would it be called a different name? Did they change the installer and not update the documentation?

Most likely. Is everything working now?

Yes everything is working as it should. Thank you very much for your help!

Top Tags