cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - When posting, your subject should be specific and summarize your question. Here are some additional tips on asking a great question. X

Check out Documents

Markh74
7-Bedrock

Check out Documents

Good day

I am new to Windchill and I am trying to understand the Checking out and In of documents.

As I understand, once the document (lets say a word doc) is created in windchill and I want to edit and make changes in the document, I would check it out, open the document and make changes and then check it back in. The rev will then change from say A.1 to A.2

However this is not working for me.

If I check out the document then nothing happens. it doesn't go anywhere except show me in windchill that it is checked out. ?????

If I check out and edit, it prompts me to upload a document from my local PC....????? Confused.

If I check out and Download, it downloads a wcdti file to my downloads folder and still no document. When I click on it, it prompts me to open the Word document. This is fine as I need to edit it but when I close the document it prompts to check back in and closes Word.

What is the best way to check out, edit the document even if it takes 3 days and then check in the amended document with a change in version.? 

Really Confused here.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
avillanueva
22-Sapphire I
(To:Markh74)

Lots of questions here. You have your understanding of the process right. Check your preferences since it looks like you download option is set to Windchill Desktop Explorer. That you need to have installed to process the wcdti files. It also provides direct check out/in from Office apps. If you want you can use basic browser which would just put the file in your downloads folder.  Your preferences are located in Quick Links, My Settings - Preferences.

avillanueva_0-1706709085945.png

See file download behavior.  

Checkout and Edit assumes you have the edited files ready to go to upload. 

Check out and download would give you the file for edit. Then when done, edit or check in should allow you to upload the new file. Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
avillanueva
22-Sapphire I
(To:Markh74)

Lots of questions here. You have your understanding of the process right. Check your preferences since it looks like you download option is set to Windchill Desktop Explorer. That you need to have installed to process the wcdti files. It also provides direct check out/in from Office apps. If you want you can use basic browser which would just put the file in your downloads folder.  Your preferences are located in Quick Links, My Settings - Preferences.

avillanueva_0-1706709085945.png

See file download behavior.  

Checkout and Edit assumes you have the edited files ready to go to upload. 

Check out and download would give you the file for edit. Then when done, edit or check in should allow you to upload the new file. Hope this helps.

Top Tags