cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can change your system assigned username to something more personal in your community settings. X

Cognos and Multi-Level BOMs

sdrzewiczewski
7-Bedrock

Cognos and Multi-Level BOMs

I'm interested to see if anybody has created their own MLBs using Congos? I was trying to see how the OOTB report was done, but it looks like most of the data acquisition was done from an IE task that calls some java method.

thx,

Steve D.

3 REPLIES 3

I'm interested in this as well. It'd be nice if there was a decent set of reports floating around that would dynamically included Custom IBA's on the report as well as maybe a Cost report that shows the MLB with a cost iba and then a total cost field at the top. I haven't dove into the custom reporting stuff, is it really that complicated to this?

I think you will find it hard with any reporting tool to do MLB, the problem lies with the calculation as to which of the children part versions is the one you need. This is an algorithm in Windchill called a Configuration Spec which is implemented in Java. It will not easy to get pure reporting tools to understand this calculation, maybe would be possible with something simple like "Latest" or even "Latest, Released".

When I was at Psion, we had the help from Najanaja to produce not only multi-level BOMs at these configurations:

• As Stored
  • Latest Iteration
  • Latest Revision
  • ECN
  • and Effectivity

Complete downloadable zipped packages based on these baselines where easily available. These packages based on the configurations contained all:

• WTParts (top down)
  • EPM (top down or requried if drawing) placed in it's own applicaiton folder (i.e ProE)
  • describing and referencing documents

But, we were able to show comparisions between each configuration and different assemblies as well:

• what was added
  • what was removed
  • what modified

This allowed contract manufacturers and project managers advance notice with changes. These comparisions reports were downloadable as tab delimited with

• reference designations
  • BOM level
  • respective next higher assembly

Litterally, it changes the world of Windchill with WTPart Management.

Top Tags