cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about the Community Ranking System, a fun gamification element of the PTC Community. X

Describes and DescribedBy relationship

Srikanth1
12-Amethyst

Describes and DescribedBy relationship

Is it possible to add CAD Documents in the 'Description' relationship? The help center suggests so.

https://support.ptc.com/help/wnc/r12.0.2.0/en/#page/Windchill_Help_Center%2FObjectOviewObjectRelationships.html%23

However, we could only create/search for WTDocs in the described by table of a part. 
Any insights will be helpful

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Fadel
22-Sapphire I
(To:Srikanth1)

The links between , EPM and part are different and more complicated 

the given link WTPartDescribeLink is using roles as below

wt.doc.WTDocument describedBy wt.part.WTPartDescribeLink describes wt.part.WTPart

The link between parts and cad can be for different associations (image,owner,content..) and it is created by actions like build structure (starting from CAD assembly or from Part BOM) or by auto-associate ..

One of the tables that holds cad-part is EPMBuildHistory 

EPMBuildHistory has two roles one is to WTPart, the other is to EPM 

Fadel_0-1700633450616.png

For content association we have below table 

Fadel_1-1700633663207.png

Hope this helps, 

Fede

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Fadel
22-Sapphire I

The links between , EPM and part are different and more complicated 

the given link WTPartDescribeLink is using roles as below

wt.doc.WTDocument describedBy wt.part.WTPartDescribeLink describes wt.part.WTPart

The link between parts and cad can be for different associations (image,owner,content..) and it is created by actions like build structure (starting from CAD assembly or from Part BOM) or by auto-associate ..

One of the tables that holds cad-part is EPMBuildHistory 

EPMBuildHistory has two roles one is to WTPart, the other is to EPM 

Fadel_0-1700633450616.png

For content association we have below table 

Fadel_1-1700633663207.png

Hope this helps, 

Fede
Srikanth1
12-Amethyst
(To:Fadel)

Thanks Fadel.

I agree with your explanation above and thats my understanding on the part-EPM doc associations.

I am however trying to understand the reference of the CAD(EPM) documents in the Description relationship details in help center. 

https://support.ptc.com/help/wnc/r12.0.2.0/en/?_gl=1*o9e91n*_ga*MjE0MjU1MDM0MC4xNjg3Mjc1Mjc0*_ga_7NMP2MSYPM*MTcwMDY3MDgyOS42NC4xLjE3MDA2NzM2NDMuNDEuMC4w*_ga_1QBT6P6HR1*MTcwMDY3MzYyNC4xMjkuMS4xNzAwNjczNjQzLjQxLjAuMA..#page/Windchill_Help_Center%2FObjectOviewObjectRelationships.html%23 

Srikanth1_0-1700673795515.png

Fadel
22-Sapphire I

this an issue with the help center , kindly open a support case , one of my colleagues will raise a documentation  SPR to correct it .

The WTPartDescribeLink is WTDoc<-> WTPart 

Fadel_0-1700675867421.png

even on that table the insert new is offing only WTDoc, and if you try to customize the table view , you will see only

WTdoc and its subtypes 

Fadel_1-1700676135351.png

Fede
Srikanth1
12-Amethyst
(To:Fadel)

Cool, I will go ahead with raising a case for the correction. Thank you for the prompt responses. 

Fadel
22-Sapphire I

Thank you for confirming , would you also mark this thread as resolved  

Fede
Top Tags