cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Stay updated on what is happening on the PTC Community by subscribing to PTC Community Announcements. X

How to block the access of a document( and all its released predecessor) based on the Life cycle state?

rr-2
1-Newbie

How to block the access of a document( and all its released predecessor) based on the Life cycle state?

Hi

I have a requirement in Windchill PDM Essentials/Link .

Requirement:

Guest should be able to view the document only if its current State is "Released". If there is a bug fixing going and its current state is "Inwork" , the Guest should not be able to see all versions of the document including the one which was released.

Lets assume,

Documents version is

Current Version Guest Access

A.1 & Inwork=> No Access

A.2 & Inwork=> No Access

A.3 & Released => Should be able to see the released document.

Upto this point , i handled using the Policy Administration. Now to add the complexity further ,

The above document is revised.

B.1 & Inwork ==> Guest should not be able to see the A.3 document (as the B.1 is having the state "In Work") . In the sense, if there is a bug fixing going on , the total document including its history should get hidden.

Hope i explained it clearly.

Please share your ideas on accomplishing the same.

2 REPLIES 2
sad
3-Visitor
3-Visitor
(To:rr-2)

Hi Radhakrishnan,

You may introduce another lifecycle state say "Revised" in the document lifecycle template.

Then change the lifecycle state of the Document A.3 to "Revised". Now as per policy, guest members can not access previous versions.

Another Alternate Option is there:

In the user preferences, there is an option to search "only the latest version". If that option is set to true, guest members if search by document number, it won't list out the previous released versions. Since the latest version is also not released, the search result will be empty.

But if the guest goes inside the folder location where documents resided, they can see all the released versions.

Regards,

Suresh Babu AD

rr-2
1-Newbie
(To:sad)

Hi SureshBabu

I feel there is a gap between my requirement and your understanding. (or) I may not have understood your answer properly.

I have blocked the access of a document for the Guest (if it is in "Inwork" state) using the Policy Domain, which i mentioned earlier.

If i do so, the system will show the recent "Released" version (in our case A.3) of the same document to the Guests (as A.3 has gone to production after the promotional approval process).

I want to hide all the revisions and iterations of the same document , if the document goes to "In Work" state (after doing revise).

Hope i have explained it clearly.

Thanks

Radhakrishnan

Top Tags