cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

Is that a setting in Windchill 11.0 that deletes all previous versions of a part once that part is release?

jforsyth
12-Amethyst

Is that a setting in Windchill 11.0 that deletes all previous versions of a part once that part is release?

I am new to CREO and Windchill.

We are running CREO 3.0 M090 and Windchill 11.0.

Is there a setting in Windchill 11.0 that deletes all previous versions of a part once that part, Assembly or Drawing is release?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:jforsyth)

No there is nothing like a purge command in Windchill like can be done with a native OS filing system.

Also, the iterations should not be in your SQL database but in your file fault, which in my case is on my Windchill server, not my Oracle server.

If you are storing your files in the DB, please reconsider your setup and get them stored in external file vaults.

Windchill Archive only works on revisions. If you have revision 1 released (1.5) and then revise it to revision 2 (2.1) you can then run the archive utility to move the 1.x versions offline.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

Careful with your terminology of windchill.

Version is a combined Revision and iteration. (2.4 or D.8)

Revision is controlled by a table in most installs. (A, d, 0, 3 or 0, 3, A, G)

Iteration is incremented automatically every time a file is checked-in to the Windchill common space.

Actually it does not matter as NO versions, revisions or iterations are deleted/removed from Windchill automatically.

You can run an archive routine that will backup and remove the actual files from your file server for older revisions (and all if a revision's iterations).

jforsyth
12-Amethyst
(To:BenLoosli)

Ben,

I stand corrected.

I guess what Is was trying to ask is this:

1. I create a new part, assembly or drawing in CREO.
  2. I check it into my Workspace in windchill.  It is at iteration .1 at this time.
  3. I open it back and check it out to make changes.
  4. I check it back into Windchill.  It is now at iteration.2
  5. I repeat until the part is complete.
  6. This part goes through our internal check process and is signed of and approved by management.
  7. The CAD Admin releases this part in Windchill.  It is now in a released state.
  8. Is there a way or setting that once this part has been moved to a state of Release that all of the previous iterations (.1, .2, .3, etc.) are automatically deleted from Windchill and the SQL Server database?

this would save space on the Winchill/SQL Server database.

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

No there is nothing like a purge command in Windchill like can be done with a native OS filing system.

Also, the iterations should not be in your SQL database but in your file fault, which in my case is on my Windchill server, not my Oracle server.

If you are storing your files in the DB, please reconsider your setup and get them stored in external file vaults.

Windchill Archive only works on revisions. If you have revision 1 released (1.5) and then revise it to revision 2 (2.1) you can then run the archive utility to move the 1.x versions offline.

jforsyth
12-Amethyst
(To:BenLoosli)

Ben,

thanks for your input.

I will go back and verify my settings are correct.

Top Tags