cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can subscribe to a forum, label or individual post and receive email notifications when someone posts a new topic or reply. Learn more! X

Is there still a Product Structure Explorer in Windchill 10.2

BernardWielfaer
6-Contributor

Is there still a Product Structure Explorer in Windchill 10.2

Hi,

I would like t know if there is still a way to create a bom manually by using a Product Structure Explorer in Windchill version 10.2 ?

Is there a way to feed this with info comming from Excel ? This I am asking because we will abandon the OSD drafting and for the rarely new 2D drawings we would create the bom manually.

Regards,

Bernard

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Bernard,

I have posted a screenshot of PSB in 10.2 M020. I am using some custom views. But you can see that the structure is located on the left side. And you can make edits to the BOM on right side of the screen using the Uses tab. This is fundamentally different than clicking on Actions > Edit BOM in Windchill 9.1. We use this for small BOM changes.

For larger BOM changes, or initial BOM creation, when our BOM isn't CAD driven, then we use an Excel spreadsheet. The way I have leveraged the Import from Spreadsheet functionality is by having users input information onto the same spreadsheet they've used for a long time, and are familiar with. Then I use a macro to reformat the data (on a separate worksheet) into a structure that Windchill prefers for its import engine. This way the users are happy, and Windchill is happy. The macro does the work to make them both happy. The user only needs to click on Import from Spreadsheet, and load the Excel file. And then check the output message from the import (success or failure?).

What format and structure is required for importing WTPart structure into Windchill using the Import from Spreadsheet function? The easiest way is to go to an existing BOM and export it via the Actions menu. It has been a while, so I can't remember the specifics. But that is the principle. You can do this for components too, not just BOM structure. There is also information regarding all of this in the Windchill Help Center in your installation. I had to make some changes to the import spreadsheet structure when we upgraded from 9.1 to 10.2, but they were all related to PartsLink and classification - not the basic functionality. So whatever you develop now will be able to be useful even after you upgrade.

2015-04-06_9-34-45.png

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Bernard,

I can share one of our methods to create BOMs. Maybe you will be interested.

In some cases, the engineer creates the BOM in a spreadsheet format. I have utilized the "Import from Spreadsheet" functionality to import the Excel BOM into Windchill. You just need to have it in the right format for the import engine. I can provide more details if you wish.

To answer your original question... Yes, there is still a Product Structure Explorer in Windchill 10.2. What version of Windchill are you currently using?

Ben,

We are actually on version 9.1 M60. Yes, I am interested in methods to create a bom.

Regards,

Bernard

Bernard,

I have posted a screenshot of PSB in 10.2 M020. I am using some custom views. But you can see that the structure is located on the left side. And you can make edits to the BOM on right side of the screen using the Uses tab. This is fundamentally different than clicking on Actions > Edit BOM in Windchill 9.1. We use this for small BOM changes.

For larger BOM changes, or initial BOM creation, when our BOM isn't CAD driven, then we use an Excel spreadsheet. The way I have leveraged the Import from Spreadsheet functionality is by having users input information onto the same spreadsheet they've used for a long time, and are familiar with. Then I use a macro to reformat the data (on a separate worksheet) into a structure that Windchill prefers for its import engine. This way the users are happy, and Windchill is happy. The macro does the work to make them both happy. The user only needs to click on Import from Spreadsheet, and load the Excel file. And then check the output message from the import (success or failure?).

What format and structure is required for importing WTPart structure into Windchill using the Import from Spreadsheet function? The easiest way is to go to an existing BOM and export it via the Actions menu. It has been a while, so I can't remember the specifics. But that is the principle. You can do this for components too, not just BOM structure. There is also information regarding all of this in the Windchill Help Center in your installation. I had to make some changes to the import spreadsheet structure when we upgraded from 9.1 to 10.2, but they were all related to PartsLink and classification - not the basic functionality. So whatever you develop now will be able to be useful even after you upgrade.

2015-04-06_9-34-45.png

Thanks for the information Ben. So, there is still a manual way of creating bom's and it can be imported from Excel. I use Excel (vba) intensive in an other project, so writing the conversion should not be a problem. Regards from across the pond...

Bernard,

Also - if you go to the PTC LIve 2013 Conference materials on the PTC/USER site -

http://portal.ptcuser.org/p/do/sd/sid=2211&type=0

The file: PLG_2013_Windchill PTC 1.zip has my Best Practices content on Creating BOMs with Windchill and covers working with PSB, Excel Import, creating from CAD and Save -as.

BenPerry
13-Aquamarine
(To:JeffZemsky)

Jeff,

Maybe there is a typo on slide 12? The bullet points for "model driven product structure" are actually seen under "import from spreadsheet" and vice versa? Screenshot below.

Also, as I was paging through the slides, I noticed the "Uses" tab. The Unit column is editable. In general, in Windchill a UOM is editable both on the WTPart itself, and in the BOM (WTPartUsageLink). This is quite confusing to me actually. A UOM should not change after an item is initially set up, in my experience. We're connected with our Oracle ERP system, and in that system a UOM cannot be changed for an item. If you set up an item as Liters for example, it should be purchased in Liters, sold in Liters, used on BOMs as Liters. A user should not have the potential to put it on the BOM as Milliliters or worse - Gallons. Therefore I think UOM should be read-only on WTPartUsageLink. We have made that customization at the site level for our Windchill installation.

Anyway, my rant is digressing from the OP. Sorry. Should be discussed in a different venue.

2015-04-09_11-42-34.png

Looks like the slide got messed up from the original in the PDF conversion

To your question on UOM - as you might now this has always been this way, its not new. The reason it is supported is that while the UOM on the Part is the default, when creating a BOM there can be times when you need to vary from the default UOM.

Top Tags