cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get an answer that solved your problem? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution so others with the same problem can find the answer easily. X

Line Numbers

ptc-1834940
1-Newbie

Line Numbers

We need to have line numbers on every BoM item created for each WT.Part. The BoMs are being created correctly on check in but no line numbers are forced into the BoM. This causes users to take an extra step to create the line numbers post check-in. Anyone found a way around this or have a good reason not to automate? Thanks in advance! B
3 REPLIES 3

PTC Windchill is the first PLM tool I've encountered that *doesn't* automatically populate Line and Find numbers in BOMs. Enormous amounts of time wasted filling it out manually.

Just wondering if anyone has encountered any further workarounds/ solutions for this one? Does it need to be manually completed by the user(s) still? 

Thank you. 

-=Deepen

Our company uses find numbers on the drawing as the same number as line number.  So the data is only known to the report index on the field of a drawing.  I have seen methods of using a component ID in an assembly and linking that to an attribute but I never was able to get a clear answer from PTC on how this worked.  

We ended up creating a client that could be executed from a mapkey. It exported the BOM table from the drawing, read the find number information, connected to PDMLink and updated the BOM against the related part object.  It was rather complicated involving some VB scripting and Java client programming but worked. The Part was updated and the line numbers were synced to find numbers on the drawing.  We did not use find numbers in PDMLink but had thought of syncing those too.  

I would much rather see a web call to perform this task. Typically our Creo assemblies are not that large so manual still works. We also just upgraded so all of this broken and needs to be fixed.

Top Tags