cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Want the oppurtunity to discuss enhancements to PTC products? Join a working group! X

MacBook Pro - viewer for CAD assemblies directly from Windchill?

donstucke
6-Contributor

MacBook Pro - viewer for CAD assemblies directly from Windchill?

We have a large number of Geometry Reviewers in our organizaion that use MacBook Pro's.

CREO View will not run natively on the Mac OS and we find that the visualizations availible in the Windchill client browser under the Structure tab don't have enough feaures for our needs.   

We've explored options for running CREO View in a Windows emulator on trhe Mac's or on a remote server,  but all are troublesome and not really usable in our environment. 

Does anyone have a third-party solution for an alternative to CREO View that can open geometry for review directly from Windchill?  The only options we have found requiring mirroring of the geometry data on another server outside of Windchill which doesn't make sense for the quantity of files we are working with. 

PTC- how about a Mac OS native version of CREO View - is this on your roadmap?  If so how far in the future?  

4 REPLIES 4

This is a challenge for any organization with MacOS devices. Personally, I would rather see a more functional web viewer which is not dependent on the underlying OS. There are a lot of heavy functions in Creo View that are not required in a web viewer. It would be great to have 20% of the functionality that would address 80% of use cases. More importantly, companies would not have to worry about how and where Creo View is installed as a client application. To fully achieve SaaS, PTC will need a more capable, web based viewer, so maybe its on the horizon?

As a today solution, you could provision a browser with Windchill access and Creo View in CITRIX or Amazon App Stream. If MacOS users are getting their Windchill browser from a service like CITRIX or App Stream, it might feel more native than a Windows emulator.

donstucke
6-Contributor
(To:ScottMorris)

Thanks Scott- I think you are right-on as to suggesting a web viewer with about 20% of CREO View's functions as a solution.   The current Structure Tab is a start of what is needed, but is not quite robust enough. 

Hi,

I can't comment on a roadmap for a MacOS native version of CreoView, but meanwhile our WebGL approach might help here. Similar to what you have in the PSB (prodcut structure browser), you can open CreoView files through the WebGL toolkit. Technically one would need a web server hosting a web application based in WebGL toolkit, which would than allow employees to view CreoView files in a browser.

Same technology is used within Navigate, so that might also be a more OOTB approach.

Cheers,

Ruediger

Thanks I'll ask our IT team to look into this possiblity! 

Top Tags