cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Help us improve the PTC Community by taking this short Community Survey! X

Maximum Limit to file deletion in Common Space

wfalco
15-Moonstone

Maximum Limit to file deletion in Common Space

All,

I imported a big assembly into Creo and uploaded to Windchill. It's a lot of files. I no longer need this assembly. I can't delete by selecting all files because it appears there are several pages of files and I don't think it is selecting those files on following pages and is looking for the files it is referencing that it can't see. I tried to delete the folder itself. It appeared to be deleting the folder and the files within. However, it said I have reached the maximum limit for deleting files. I am not sure if I am being clear. Anyone know how to delete a folder that contains a large amount of files?

WayneF

8 REPLIES 8
HelesicPetr
21-Topaz II
(To:wfalco)

HI @wfalco 

I've never see that error before. So what Windchill version do you use?

I would recommend you to move all files to folder and delete it.

There can be just few limits. Method Server Garbage memory and SQL query limitation.

You can all increase. 

I needed to delete over 300 000 wtparts at one shot, and I needed 8GB memory for one MethodServer to do so. 

PetrH

I would agree that there is no delete limit but could be too much to do in one shot, query limit or memory. I would suggest doing it in chunks to whittle it down. If you run into issue with dependent objects, you can use the collector to grab those.

wfalco
15-Moonstone
(To:avillanueva)

The files are in one folder and they are not referenced by anything else in Windchill. Since I truly can not select all because they are on 4 pages. I can't select all of page 1 because I would run into dependents. I did think about using a collector. But I am not sure how to do that. I have 5 main assemblies actually. I can't grab sub-assembies and it's dependents because they belong to the main assembly. I'm not sure how to use a collector either. I was thinking of opening the assemblies and deleting everything to remove all dependancies.

HelesicPetr
21-Topaz II

Hi @wfalco 

You have to go from top do down. 

So delete the most upper assembly first without any subparts just collect drawing and WTPart if is it needed.

PetrH

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

You cannot modify the assemblies and check them back in as that will create a new iteration in Windchill and Windchill will know about the linkages from the original iteration.

Start at the top and work your way down through the structure, deleting small groups as a time in Windchill.

wfalco
15-Moonstone
(To:HelesicPetr)

Everything is in one folder and not referenced to anything else. Its seems like I can delete the folder. But I get this result:

"The returned query result has exceeded the query limit, and only 200,000 result return".

I must need the up the value. Not sure how to do that.

HelesicPetr
21-Topaz II

Hi @wfalco 

You need to contact your windchill administrator to do so. 

The admin has to change the query limit in wt.properties

here is a article describes all risks with the change but in the end there is a instruction how to do so

https://www.ptc.com/en/support/article/CS26116?

PetrH

avillanueva
22-Sapphire I

You might not need to up it. Like @HelesicPetr mentioned, you can remove upper level items first then it will get easier and easier. First start with WTParts. Use the collector to include upper level Parts and keep collecting till there are no more results. You can also be greedy if you want and include lower level components too in one shot but this could cause conflicts. Once all those upper level assemblies are gone, components will go quickly and you can remove hundreds in each shot. Then move to WTDocuments and then CAD data, started with assemblies first. Use the same approach. 

Also, deleting current references will not work since there is iteration history. To reduced dependencies to older iterations, you should try purging the folder aggressively, leaving only 1 iteration remaining. This slash and hack method will get easier and easier but starting out, it can be frustrating.  Make sure you watch out for items outside this folder that you want to keep.

Top Tags