cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get called away in the middle of writing a post? Don't worry you can find your unfinished post later in the Drafts section of your profile page. X

Moving to windchill pdmlink from intralink 3.4

rrich
2-Guest

Moving to windchill pdmlink from intralink 3.4

We are getting ready to make the big switch. Does anyone have any words of wisdom, cross reference, instructions or other helpful things I could get for our users. Any advice in any fashion would be helpful.

I am interested in things like this... Do you have to use local workspaces or server workspaces or both. What is the best way to explain this to the users. It causes me enough confusion so trying to explain to others is difficult.

Thanks in advance.

Ron

3 REPLIES 3

We made the move over 3 years ago from Intralink 3.4 to Windchill 9.1and still feeling the pain. We have a small user community running 26 licenses of ProE. The move has been almost total disaster. Many users find the solution so confusing and complex they refuse to use it unless forced. Upper management has convinced itself the solution is too expensive and so in many respects ProE is finding itself in a fight just to survive as cost perception becomes more and more critical.

I have concluded if I do not understand Windchill enough to explaina casual users questionin a few minutes of time, then I do not understand it well enough to successfully run it. Upper managers are the worst. It seems I typically have two or three minutes at most to answer a Windchill question and demonstrate effectivness and cost savings. If I can't do it, battle lost!

I am convinced PTC does not understand how to help the small user community implement a Windchill solution one step at a time and grow from limited data management to a comprehensive solution as needed. The software certainly does not allow gradual implementation. Documentation does not discuss such a topic and the user has to intimately understand the complete solutionto know how to turn certain functions off without unintended consequences. The only optionavailable is to install ProIntralink instead of the complete Windchill solution. But beware, neither the documentation nor PTC makes it clear what the differences are and how to implement a ProIntranlink solution.

We were going to try and go back to ProIntralink with an upgrade from Windchill 9.1 to Intralink 10, butwe have given up on the idea and will just try and turn off as much of Windchill 10 as possible. While we pay for the full Windchill license, PTC refused to let us implement the partial Intralink solution without purchasing new licenses (go figure).

Kim Davies

Idaho National Lab

sbugros
4-Participant
(To:rrich)

Hi Ron,

We migrated from intralink 3.4 to pdmlink 9.1 almost two years ago. We also did the migration ourselves.

If you have any specific questions please feel free to contact me. I document most of our "experience".

Thanks

Steve

Steven Bugros
Brookhaven National Laboratory
Collider-Accelerator Department
Building 911 B
35 Lawrence Drive
Upton, N.Y. 11973
631-344-3259
bugros@bnl.gov

ejhlti
1-Newbie
(To:rrich)

We also made the move from 3.x to 9.0 a little over three years ago. Lots of issues and experience similiar to what Kim described.

For further details, feel free to contact me.

Top Tags